

Just an update on the committee and on biodegradable cutlery

Will go to Aramark to see where they get biodegradable cutlery. Might try to partner with them

But they also went out and saw pricing and found some that are reasonable

Equity Sub-Committee

I have gotten five applications for mental health, four for diversity.

Would encourage 1Ls to reach out to their sections figure if anyone is interested in the sub-committee. Also to get involved themselves if possible

Alex: I met lawyerly.org, which does case briefings. They're working on a new system and are in close contact with UOttawa and Western. Talking to UFT as well. It doesn't seem like they're doing anything very new just yet.

I have bookmarks to pass around. If you could check the website and see if you have feedback, let me know

Jean: Is there any funding for 1L section reps

Alex: There is not anything available in terms of specific funding outside of town halls.

Manuela: If you give a date + time, people will usually come by. It's fairly easy.

Aashish: Building on that, I noticed that people will show up if you coordinate something. It's pretty okay – one big one I did last year was have my section at Shopsys after the citation quiz. Also ran a BBQ at 5 dollars/person

Cory: Does student caucus budget cover town halls? Do we pay for it?

Alex: No

Jean: Does L&L have a calendar on the website for activities?

Renee: We're working on it.

Alex: Renee is in talks to figure out how to link it, we were supposed to have one last year but it did not work out.

Jean: I believe this could help with club overlap in events etc

Aashish: We'll have some overlap regardless but this could potentially help

Alex: We need to do an oath of affirmation for the new members

Oath of Affirmation read out and was affirmed by all five new members

Movement to Adjourn: N/A

LEGAL AND LITERARY SOCIETY: AGENDA

Wednesday, October 25th, 2017

12:30 PM – 2:30 PM Rm. 2008

Present: Alex Evangelista, Aashish Oberoi, Renée Sambrook, Manuela Morales, Meghan Hillstrom, Ashley Hsu, Genevieve Giesbrecht, Dan Bacsa, Galen Lambert

Regrets: Sarah Jane Attardo, Chadd Pirali, Jean-Nicolas Bissonnette, Cory Strul, Taylor Hanson

Call to Order – 12:34pm

Minutes Ratification

Issues: "Necktie Sale" is supposed to be "A Time to Exhale"

RATIFIED

OSPSN Ratification (Aashish)

Manuela: Heather Donkers here on behalf of OSPSN. Membership section in the constitution has been significantly changed.

Aashish: The new section keeps the current structure that exists, but makes its intentions clearer.

Questions or Concerns:

No questions or concerns raised

Doesn't change what they are doing, just clarifies their intention.

MOTION by Aashish to approve OSPSN constitution. SECOND Meghan.

MOTION passes – all for, 0 against.

L&L AGM – Date and Agenda

Alex: Go ahead with November 15 for the event date. Dean Sossin was okay with it.

Meghan: We can't get the moot court that date because of auditions for Mock Trial – we will ask them if we can use it

Renée: There might be a Criminal Law Society event that day too, and I think they asked Mock Trial to use the Moot Court, which they were fine with.

Manuela: What about Helliwell Centre? There are chairs right there.

Changing the Date? Week before is reading week, the week after will be a bit crazy. Not opposed to doing a different day that week, but won't be good for when classes are.

The Monday is Faculty Council plus not a lot of 2Ls and 3Ls at Osgoode on Monday.

Alex: Will check in with OEO and see if there are any days that work other than November 15.

Manuela: We need a big turn out so we need the space.

Alex: Agenda items besides appointing the auditor, some ideas – quick comments from L&L for plans for the year (summary of things available for the students) and invite someone from Student Caucus to do the same, and then having a comment on what's going on with LSUC and the licensing process. Mixed ideas on who is going to speak on it – SC wants someone from LSUC to speak but she just wants to speak about licensing in general. Spoke to Prof Berger and he suggested Dean Sossin to come in and speak. In my opinion that is better. Will confirm with Dean Sossin on what his availability is. Someone from SC is getting in contact with the LSUC person.

Meghan: I think it should be internal.

Manuela: The 1Ls are pretty ambitious and might already know in general about the process, regardless, you can find it out online. The changes and the implications is what's interesting and more likely to draw people.

Meghan: Also changing the Bar Exam.

Renée: That's speculation right now.

Alex: But things are changing so Dean Sossin will be able to put it altogether and still be neutral about it.

Aashish: People will trust what Dean Sossin has to say.

Alex: LSUC will have their own good perspective on how to explain it, but Dean Sossin would be better at tailoring it to Osgoode Students.

Dan: We have to circulate the agenda, so when is that?

Aashish: I just talked to Margarit and the Criminal Law Society moved to their event to the 13

Renée: Think we need to have an answer question period – someone from SC also brought up this and it's good for transparency and to inform people what we do as L&L.

Alex: Prefer if it was more streamlined approach, don't know how long it will take. Town halls they can reach out to us if they have questions. More inclined if there were submissions after the AGM, or we can stick around after. Worried it will drown out our agenda.

Meghan: We have never had something for upper years

Manuela: If people have questions, even if we have 10 minutes, it gets longer and this may not be the place. Have people submit questions beforehand and we can answer them, or do something informal like hanging out in Gowlings where we can answer questions.

Aashish: The idea of being available after about concerns – when you get questions you haven't done enough research or we get committed to things

If people have serious concerns, people might think we are vetting questions

Dan: I agree, I think we should have an agenda and if people have concerns they can ask us to come to the meeting, town halls, other avenues where people can raise concerns. AGMs won't be the place to do so, or if they can't get an answer right away, that's not helpful. Not trying to escape our responsibilities.

Genevieve: At the AGM we can tell them what avenues they have

Galen: Reason why 2L and 3L reps don't have townhalls?

Alex: Just hasn't been done traditionally, also would be more difficult to rally the 2Ls and 3Ls. Fair point though.

Renée: We are a student body government and we are supposed to show students how they can have a voice. Agree that perhaps AGM is not the place to have this Q&A, but we need to be a resource so students know where to air their concerns.

Dan: Agree – maybe we can put a webpage on our site that directs people's concerns for who they talk to – like issue with tuition, talk to this person. We can then tell people about it at the AGM.

Alex: Reassess for next term to see if we need a town hall.

Dan: Can also do a survey late on how people want to communicate with us.

Obiter Dicta

Levy Obiter can't access due to audit financial procedures, don't have funds to appoint auditor

York suggested the audit goes through L&L

Obiter is the official newspaper under L&L so it shouldn't involve any constitution change

Obiter is ok with this

Alex to submit letter to York and Obiter and L&L will sign off on it

Statement of Intent for how to use their funds required by York – goes to publishing and managing their website

Aashish: Concern that there is too much bureaucracy and shackling down a club by taking a levy and forcing them to use it one purpose. Is York going to budge on this at all? Essentially takes point of levy and forces Obiter to use it for a certain purpose. Are they stuck with this or can they change their statement of intent in the future?

Alex: York just wants a suggestion of what to do with the pool of levy funds – might just be procedural

Dan: Spoke to Ross about the fund Obiter has and how to get access and rules. Ross seems to think it doesn't matter, as long as L&L gets it they can use it as they wish. Seems to be mixed messaging. Obiter has an external bank account which they have control over. We as L&L can request their statements and look it over.

Alex: They know this, and are ok with us looking over their books every year. Didn't seem to have concerns.

Aashish: Only have one signing authority. Might play into discussions into the audit?

Alex: We'll need to speak to them about that.

Dan: Auditors care about that and we'll need to talk to them about that

Galen: Why don't they just say they will use it for the publishing of the paper – just "printing costs" then it will solve the problem.

Alex: We'll need two signatures on their books, I'll write the general

Genevieve: how much more work is this for L&L to audit them?

Alex: We don't audit this, just add it to our files to give to the auditor.

Aashish: Additional cost to auditing cost?

Dan: Probably marginal increase, maybe an extra half hour.

York Campus Alcohol Policy

Summer, York had updates on the alcohol on campus policy

Changes:

1) Trying to slowly implement a policy on dry events and dry orientation. That's the norm for undergrad but then they have Schulich and Osgoode where people are above 19. They would ideally like to see events in orientation that are dry for groups like us. I communicated to them that our levy funds don't go towards alcohol, students buy their own drinks. There was misconception around that and they didn't know that. Told them we weren't planning on doing a dry frosh. Prof Berger agreed with that.

2) Prohibiting advertisement of alcohol to get people to go to vents. Like wine and cheese parties. All out prohibition – and we label things that alcohol will be served. Sometimes we are asked to advertise what will be there, might be an issue for the culture of the event.

Aashish: They said they would go back and look at that because they realized it is for legitimate events.

Alex: They said they could make a caveat for the York-wide policy for the professional schools.

Aashish: I raised that at the round table, and the colleges also raised it. I'm surprised they haven't thought about "wine and cheese" as a certain exception. This impacts all senior years and professional programs across campus. Could we still have alcohol at these events? Also about orientation, even if we do a dry frosh, the fact that our o-week leaders get to drink that week. That might be a sub-set conversation about our leaders. They want us to make some concessions. They made that separate, shocked that our leaders are allowed to drink. They have to back down a bit on the "wine and cheese" thing.

Meghan: This impacts events – like Lerner's reception. Anyone who goes to these events in this industry there is alcohol. Important students know how to manage themselves in this environment. Plus, the average age is like 26 years old, you can't tell them not to drink. Plus, leaders who drank, they still did their job. Plus, there are events that aren't "alcohol" events.

Dan: They aren't thinking about the average age – this policy shouldn't apply to us. I don't think they need to be careful about the exception, no one will say they are hypocritical. This is a different situation. The o-week leader drinking issue, they aren't 19-year-olds neither are the first years. This is a group of adults and the leaders are there to organize, not chaperone.

Galen: Regarding leaders, if they want concession, I could see it being reasonable to have one or two people as designated sober people.

Manuela: They have that written, "instances where alcohol served, a minimum of 2 people must remain sober and be identifiable to students in the event people need care or support"

Aashish: they say executive members as sober. Considering L&L runs it, there are 12 of us.

Manuela: We could do O-week leader as "counsel members".

Meghan: There were sober people at events.

Alex: Came back to me when I talked about the culture, they said do we want to perpetuate the issues in the legal profession. I told them about the steps we are taking for student wellness, but we aren't going to infantilize them.

Meghan: Then talk to the industry.

Genevieve: These aren't implemented yet, and the question is if this happens, what happens to us in terms of York – what are the repercussions? Also, if it's just advertising as the issue, that is easy to get around. Can still say it's a reception.

Alex: Not sure how York would respond, probably go to the Osgoode administration. Not sure the impact on funding. Don't know if they have anything concrete for what they would do.

Genevieve: Seems like a lot of fighting for renaming events

Dan: For repercussions, not sure if they can take away funding, but might have student code of conduct consequences for people who organize the events.

Aashish: Problem with them treating us like children, don't like the idea of an ambiance of them enforcing things on a professional group. Also advertising things like "wine and cheese" can impact on the student group. Just need to carve out an exception for things like a professional networking event. High profile event of a professional nature. Hard for us to argue against, and we wouldn't. Also, how can we advertise pub night if this happens. Drink specials, etc. It is run by L&L.

Alex: They said they had no issue about the JCR, plus we are a licensed vendor.

Manuela: They said they can't do much about off-campus events plus JCR because we've done it for so long and license. Echoing what everyone has said, we just have to say these are adults and we can't police them – this is not ok, no one is doing anything illegal. As discussed, we can't put these harsh policies and can't network with wine and cheese. We understand your concerns with addictions etc., but hoping to address these things – can't put these policies in place though.

Alex: Basically, we will continue with what we were telling them last month.

Communities in Support of Mental Health (Manuela)

Manuela: First day was yesterday, turn-out was low. Partly because Osgoode made me push it to 3pm. Overall the teacher were happy, bunch of people in the first class. Bouncy castle right now, BLSA event happening right now, and Mental Health Law was doing a bake sale by donation, tomorrow therapy dogs, and JCR family night tonight and then pub night.

Sitting fee for yearbook graduation photos (Ashley)

Ashley: Student asked about limited financial means, if we can waive the yearbook fee for him. The sitting fee for the composite. Doesn't like idea of not being in the composite, but doesn't have the means to pay. The fee is \$25.

Meghan: The fee goes directly to the photographer – first concern is that we aren't the facilitator of taking the fee. I understand this concern, but we are 100% opening ourselves to a floodgate issue. Most students have financial concerns in 3L, people catch wind of that and we have an issue.

Aashish: We had a similar discussion about 1L formal last year, about people who want to go but can't afford it. I understand financial concerns, but floodgates open. We don't have enough funding to cover costs of anything. And we have limited financial means – I'm sympathetic but as long as it isn't a part of the core student experience, I can't imagine something that is optional be funded by us.

Ashley: Can we use his other photo?

Alex: Don't think admin would be ok with that.

Dan: We didn't budget for this – there is no way to ensure the people who need it are getting it. If we were to do this, we would have to set up criteria and a way to show financial need. That's a lot of time and work. If we don't do it that way, then it's not fair.

Alex: There is no way of checking.

Dan: A lot of information is needed to even give a small bursary since it should be fair.

Meghan: If this is an actual concern, this is something to go to admin. Prof Berger just said they have funding available so maybe this is something to bring up to him. Don't think there is anything we can do this year. This is a standard thing that you sign up on his website – it's all through the photographer not L&L.

Dan: If we did this, L&L would have to pay the

Alex: Tell the student some of our reasoning, and they can contact me if needed.

1L Facebook Pages (Genevieve)

Genevieve: They want to make their Facebook page exclusive, and some groups kicked out anyone who wasn't in their year in the group. Realize this isn't student body related and nothing to do with L&L. Any suggestions or if this was a concern?

Alex: Issue of being muzzled in speaking if other non-section groups are in the group

Genevieve: Someone not from the section was posting things in the other groups and they didn't think it was relevant. And they want candid discussion.

Alex: at the end of the day it is not a student-government run page. Plus, people have to realize what they should post and not.

Meghan: A lot of upper years join to get events out there and things like orientation and Dean's Fellow sessions. I understand what they're saying but it's a way to get information out.

Genevieve: Aware it's not L&L, just wanted some feedback. Understand this hasn't been an issue in the past.

Other Business

Issue about crossing the street from Passy (Jean-Nic)

Student Caucus is dealing with this right now, and are taking next steps to get a light there. Osgoode has offered to put money in a few years ago, York has contacted Osgoode about this.

OSPSN constitution (Chadd)

The trans-identifying students mentioned in the constitution, is that just those who identify as female? Wondering if that could be clarified in the constitution.

Manuela: Don't want to misspeak so I will look at the inclusive policies and get back to you.

Office Hours – add them to the Outlook calendar. One hour, whenever you can. Upper years to do that too.