

Minutes

24 November 2021

12:30 PM EST

Zoom

Present: Alex Mulligan (Chair), Jordan Crocker, Nushrah Amod, Mario Lofranco, Danielle Landry, Jessica Li, Christina Tassopoulos, Courtney Cameron, Valentina Gavis, Kelly Bilenkis, Hillary Song, Imani Theodore, Armon Ghaeinizadeh

Call to Order (12:41pm)

Land Acknowledgement given by A. Mulligan

President's Items

Updates Roundtable

Val: I have received good input from 3Ls for formal. Looking optimistic about Carlieu. I also have something on the agenda for the yearbook contract.

Nush: I am planning to move MHWW to next semester. It is too rushed to plan everything right now. We also need to discuss if we want to have a diversity week. It is the last week of classes soon and I didn't want it to seem superficial. I think we should push to next semester to see how people are feeling. Update from caucus: Arielle and I are working on an equity round table. People of different ethnicities will be able to raise concerns.

Hillary: game night went well! Everyone was burnt out but it was really fun, pretty decent turnout. Sent the gift cards to our winners and sent in the request form as well. Would love to do again.

Courtney: I have updates about pub nights. 1L had low attendance. Everyone who did come had fun. 2L pub night is on Thursday. Also, I reached out to the 1L reps. I am available to support you all with formal so I can start researching venues.

Jess: not a lot of updates. In terms of special projects, I would love to have help with social media next semester. I am meeting with OUTLaws later to send out in-person event updates.

Danielle: not a lot of updates. 3L pub night was great. Shout out to Courtney. Planning about 2L formal

Kelly: not a lot of updates right now.

Armon: not a lot of updates

Imani: not a lot of updates

General Winter 2022 student life updates

Alex: I had a meeting with Karen Drake. It was frustrating because of York. Basically, there is no change in York policy. She is basically being ghosted by York. The framework we are operating under is the same as last year. I left the meeting pretty angry and reached out to people high up at York and said it is ridiculous to return to campus and not have in-person events. I have a meeting with York on Friday. Last time I fought people, it was about vaccines and that went well. Still no approval for in-person events. Equity groups can go through Karen Drake to host in-person events. Starting next semester, TUUS will no longer need a comprehensive application to hold events off campus; they will only require notification of these events. Prof Drake and Phyllis Babcock will meet to discuss. I have offered to create a standard form template for clubs to use to request an off-campus events. They want to have a due diligence process to ensure that the planners of the event take all precautions necessary.

Ski trip probably won't happen unless there is change in York's policies. For Wendy Babcock and Mock Trial, the two options for those events are either have it off campus. York is very conservative and very reserved about us not doing stuff.

Jess: Schulich is running an official ski trip. Why are they doing it when we can't?

Alex: I can try and find out.

Jess: yeah and it is very publicized. Do you want me to find out how they got it approved?

Alex: yes, please ask. It is a fair question.

Jess: they are also a grad school. We are technically undergrad. Also scared to be aggressive because if anyone is to get in trouble, we have to disclose to the Law Society.

Kelly: could we host an unofficial ski trip?

Nush: for Kelly's questions about running a ski trip unofficially, it would not be able to be sanctioned by Osgoode or legal and Lit AT ALL. It will not be able to be posted in ANY Osgoode groups. In terms of what Jess brought up, I do think it is because they are a graduate school, but I can also ask some people as well to get answers.

Armon: what are the typical dates for ski trip?

Alex: Typically, it is end of January or beginning of February

Armon: so would admin still have to come with us at that time?

Alex: we don't know, but we have to operate on current policies.

1L special projects

Alex:

Jess: help with social media; Hillary already reached out to offer to help

Jordan: help establishing business law round table and helping plan a club thank you event at the end of the year

Yeah so there are lots of business clubs now. We need to see if we can find a way to amalgamate them. Maybe have a business law organization as parent and then a bunch of little subsidiaries.

This could lead to difficulties in funding

Nush: help with MHWW

Nush: When do you want to do amalgamate the business clubs? I think Jordan is on the same page but I do think we will get a lot of push back. I think people will continue to create little clubs. So we can have an umbrella business club but then all the little clubs can still have their own management but just communicate about panels and events

Imani: I can help with the club thank you event.

Alex: Kelly will help with environmental event

Armon: I am down to help with MHWW. Also, I was just wondering when we can take our composite photo.

Kelly: I want to do 1L conference at the end of first semester as well

Alex: for pictures, Val will have to set it up.

Val: yes, that can be done. I will get back to you because for the rest of the semester there are no slots, so it won't happen till next semester. There will be more slots.

Third Year Rep Items

2022-2023 yearbook contract approval

Val: The contract was sent to everyone. It is pretty standard, same thing every year. They just like to plan ahead and ensure we are working with them again.

Armon: when I looked it over, there was no cost associated with it.

Val: yes, I will find that out and share it with everyone.

3L formal updates

Val: this is our last meeting for the semester but I am not meeting with the other people in the committee until next week, will we be able to do an e-motion for the deposit?

Alex: yeah, we will have to do a quick one. Don't sign without signing authority.

Val: Okay. Also, I'm glad you're having the meeting to discuss events. I will have to send out an email about the photos and will have to send an e-motion

J. Crocker entered at 1:33

Alex: the 2023 agenda contract has the wrong title. I want them to fix that.

Val: okay, I will fix that.

Nush: I will help with business round table as well.

Social Convenor Items

Team Social

Courtney: do we want to do a social by the end of the semester? Also, last year we did secret santa?

Val: would love to see you all after exams.

Court: okay, great I will plan it.

Val: we can host at my place.

Hillary: As a side note, what does the international law society do?

Jordan: it is not a club. For new clubs, there will be a ratification coming up early January and then budgets a bit later.

Imani: just wanted to let Hillary know that it is me and a bunch of other people trying to get the club back up.

Armon: so we will have a social early January. Are we still planning a welcome back week?

Alex: I will have to get more info. Tours will go ahead but I want to wait to hear about meeting on Friday. The current issue is that every room has certain capacity limits. So unless the activity is instructional, you have to be separated by 2 feet. We might have to meet unofficially over the break to figure stuff out.

Val: I was able to download the form. I emailed to everyone. The cost is \$47.87 per book. 56 colour pages. \$7179.79 is the total.

Alex: We also get a yearbook levy that covers part of that cost. I will figure out the yearbook levy. We could table it and wait for Mario if we prefer.

Val: yes, let's do that.

Other Business

Alex: appreciate all the work everyone has done this semester. Gratefu for all of you.

Motion: THAT the meeting be adjourned.

(Mulligan/Amod) CARRIED.

Adjournment (1:47 pm)

Consent Agenda

The item on the Consent Agenda, the Minutes of the meeting of 10 November 2021, was deemed approved.