

Minutes

18 November 2020

12:30 – 2:30 PM EST

Zoom

Present: Karin Kazakevich (Chair), Rachael Glassman, Reilly Everitt-Cunningham, Sydney McIvor, Nushrah Amod, Alex Mulligan, Aiishwariya Haran, Mario Lofranco, Danielle Landry, Jessica Li, Christina Tassopoulos, Courtney Cameron, Akshay Aurora

Regrets: Jordan Crocker

Due to the absence of the Secretary, the Vice-President, External, took the Minutes of the meeting.

Call to Order (12:33PM)

President's Remarks & Items

1. Updates Roundtable

Danielle: OzBook is getting lots of submissions, low turnout for town-hall, had another coffee chat.

Christina: Good turnout for town-hall, good discussion about anti-black racism plenary session, hosted games night which went well.

Jessica: Decent turnout for town-hall, mostly about academic concerns, want more sense of community, want to get to know other sections.

Courtney: Had decent attendance for town-hall, mostly discussion about academic issues and mental health.

Aiish: 3L town-hall, discussed pass fail, tuition, course work, 3L formal. Nothing new on yearbook until January, reached out to CDO about info session.

Reilly: 2L townhall discussed mostly OCIs and academic issues.

Rachael: No updates.

Alex: Thinking about socials for next semester and working with 1Ls, want to host lives about OCI process, etc.

Sydney: Almost done reviewing for audit and almost ready to send to auditors, a lot of cheque reqs lately.

Nushrah: Mental Health and Wellness week was a big success, want to discuss mental health more, care packages sent out.

M. Lofranco arrived later in the meeting

2. Yearbooks — Contract Renewal

Karin: Contract for 2022, it's done far in advance. How do we feel about yearbooks? Do people still want them?

Aiish: I think it's just because we don't promote them enough.

Karin: Part of the levy goes directly to the yearbook.

Akshay: Could we do it digitally?

Rachael: I'm not sure if we would have to do a referendum to take less money from the levy.

Sydney: We would save money because usually it costs more money than the levy.

Rachael: 2Ls may not have enough picture since we are online.

Karin: We don't have to rush a decision; we can think about it more.

3. Health Plan – Information

Motion: THAT the meeting be moved In-Camera.

(Kazakevich/Mulligan) CARRIED

Motion: THAT the meeting be moved out of In-Camera.

(Kazakevich/Mclvor) CARRIED

4. End of Year Initiatives

Karin: 1Ls are still planning on doing end of semester videos.

Courtney: Yup, Section D is coming along.

Jessica: Yup coming along.

Christina: Yeah still planning, but students still want to do something after exams to celebrate.

Danielle: Yeah coming along just waiting to hear back from people.

Karin: We have a video plan to celebrate.

5. Alumni Questions

Karin: Alum wants to do series where they answer student questions. Do you have any ideas for questions they could answer?

Akshay: Talk about life off Bay St.

Jessica: What are things you stressed about in law school, that they shouldn't have?

Sydney: How do you stay resilient and avoid burnout in law?

Karin: Thanks.

6. End of Semester Exec Awards

Karin: In lieu of a holiday party, we should do a little celebration and I have awards for everyone. It will be a non-business social. When would timing work? I'll send a doodle poll and plan after exams.

Vice-President External Items

7. MELSA Ratification

Reilly: MELSA fulfilled ratification documents so I think we should re-ratify them.

Motion: THAT MELSA be ratified as a Club for the 2020-2021 year.

(Everitt-Cunningham/Glassman) CARRIED

8. Winter Club Budgets

Reilly: Should I send it out an early budget to Clubs, so they have money early to run events?

Karin: I see no problem.

Reilly: I will let them know.

Vice-President Internal Items

9. Website Hosting

Rachael: For the last couple months people have been having accessing our website. It's because we don't have certificate. We currently use GoDaddy and the SSR certificate costs \$90 but other hosting sites are free. I have a chart of comparisons with other web hosts.

Sydney: what do you think would be the option? You work with it most.

Rachael: I would prefer to change web hosts because I have a web developer friend who can help me. We already paid GoDaddy for two years so we would have to leave it. I'll get quotes for new web hosts.

Equity Officer Items

10. Mental Health at Osgoode & Survey Feedback

Nushrah: Mental Health needs more than 1 week. I think we should do more all throughout the year. I think the student stories had the most impact. What could we sustain throughout the year to help mental health?

Akshay: I do think sharing stories is good and effective, people sharing failures but also sharing good news.

Alex: I think people want more response from the school, in addition to us doing more for students and out advocacy. We could make a summary of the data to show admin.

Akshay: Karin and I have a meeting with the Deans on Monday where we will discuss some of this.

Karin: What tangible goals should we bring up to advocate for?

Aiish: Maybe admin should put out their own survey to understand how students really feel.

Karin: I do think It's important admin knows how students feel.

Nushrah: yeah students need support.

Rachael: I think admin should make it easier to get an accommodation.

Jessica: I think it is also very important that we take into consideration the perspectives expressed in the townhalls.

Reilly: Communication from admin is important.

Nushrah: I think we need to express the systemic issues to admin.

Karin: I think that's a good point about the town halls, are there particular issues that we can move on which are not in the survey?

Jessica: yeah, a lot of people want ways to connect with upper years and people in other sections.

Karin: tell anyone else who has not done so yet to fill out the survey.

Mario: we can email it out again to students.

Other Business – President's Items

11. L&L Feedback

Karin: I'm going to be sending out an anonymous survey to all of you to get an idea of how L&L is running this year.

Courtney: does anyone have any ideas for study groups?

Karin: each section can decide for themselves what would work for study groups.

Motion: THAT the meeting be Adjourned.

(Kazakevich/Glassman) CARRIED

Adjournment (2:25PM)

Consent Agenda

The items on the Consent Agenda, the Minutes of the meeting of 28 October 2020, and the L&L/Caucus Joint Minutes of the meeting of 28 October 2020, were deemed approved.

-

Next Meeting

Wednesday, 13 January 2021, 12:30PM EST