

The Legal & Literary Society of Osgoode Hall Law School

Meeting Minutes

Wednesday November 15th, 12:30 pm

Zoom URL: ([https://yorku.zoom.us/j/96461054199?](https://yorku.zoom.us/j/96461054199?pwd=akRTVVI0dC9UVzhRNFIXWEs4RGM0Zz09)

<https://yorku.zoom.us/j/98319488754> (<https://yorku.zoom.us/j/98319488754>)

Meeting ID: 983 1948 8754

In attendance: Julie, Zamir, Tania, Jessrusty, Robert, Kaylie, Reagan, Shivaansh, Kelly, Grace Rao, Joyce, Hillary

With regrets: Yuval (but only after the first 30 minutes), Armon

Agenda

Call to Order

General Items

Intro

There was some discussion on what to wear and how to get your composite photo done.

The composite will get posted in the "hallway of fame" at Osgoode.

Just a note that all of the 3Ls should also get a separate photo taken for the composite.

But Julie also mentioned that she's not sure if they have the technical capacity to keep multiple photos of the same person...so perhaps not?

There are only 2 days in January available if you haven't signed up yet (because it looks like tomorrow is all full).

Robert noted there are also a few dates in February available.

Updates Round Table

ZAMIR

Zamir: they've got a lot of new inventory for the period project. Their volunteers don't always have the capacity to do the restocking, so if anyone here is also passionate about the period project, then all the inventory is in the L&L office, you can feel free to just grab some product and restock it in the bathrooms if you ever notice it's running low (or empty).

Julie: Aren't they getting paid like \$150?

Zamir: Yeah they are, and if you do this you wouldn't be. But what I can do is hire 3 folks from L&L who want to do it next semester, and pay them once the current contract is up.

JOYCE

Joyce: Hey guys, my updates are kind of small.

Joyce: I still need to purchase the gift cards for our assigned winners, especially our first-place winner, Robert. And I need to decide what pub night is happening next Thursday the 23rd, I'm between 2 venues right now. I'm hoping to confirm it by Friday. I'll send some new things to post and maybe in the meantime, by word of mouth, we can tell people that it's happening next Thursday. In terms of the Blue Mountain Retreat, we have a committee meeting tomorrow to kind of touch base since our initial meeting where we assigned roles. So as soon as we get that going hopefully I'll have a more concrete update on what that's looking like by the next time we meet.

Julie: Just to jump in, next week's pub night will be the last pub night of 2023. And on that point, I know this is new for the 1Ls – last year, we had one pub night every single Thursday and then just this year we decided to have one every other Thursday to

reduce the amount.

Julie: How did people feel, was the frequency of the pub nights okay? Are we okay to go forward in the next term with having only one big pub night per month?

Julie: My only note about that is that we should do more advertising and work to build hype for that one pub night since we're doing it less frequently. What do you guys think?

Hillary: I like the idea of having the themed pub nights. I also think it builds more hype. I mean having a pub night every week (in previous years), I did go to most of them but it is sometimes too much. I like the idea that we're doing less of them.

Julie: Yes, we have one big downtown pub night per month. And then we have like the JCR events in between.

Hillary: Yeah but I think having like, a New Years one, and then in February a Valentine's Day one, and then like a St Patty's Day one...

Reagan: Advertising in advance for the Halloween pub night was a really good idea. Even though it wasn't posted until about a week before, I was telling my section to look out for it and that it was coming. I would say 75% of my section was at Bar St Low for Halloween. Also, I agree that the themed pub nights, like at Sneaky Dees for Halloween, have been more successful than the general pub night that happened at Rendezviews in September.

Reagan: But I also do think that keeping it to once per month is good because people in my section also feel like too many pub nights are not the best in terms of school, people do also like dry events and JCR stuff.

Yuval: I also agree, I think the frequency right now is really good and we just need to make sure our advertising is a little better. The only thing I got feedback about from a few people in my section was that the start time was too late. I don't know if there's anything we can do about that but it is something I was asked to bring up by multiple people. I think since we still have class on Friday, it felt late to a lot of people, and that's why we had lower attendance from my section.

Julie: Yeah that's a good point, I also felt less inclined to go to some of the pub nights because it was so late.

Zamir: Yeah, maybe Joyce and I can talk about it.

Joyce: I did want to speak on that too. Because we're not paying for folks and these venues are hosting us for free basically, I try to book as early as they'll give me, but they tend to let us use the venues after they close or close to closing. Last year some venues let us use their space earlier, I think 9:30 or 10, but I wasn't a big fan of those venues. But if it's just another space to gather and get drinks and hang out, and it's earlier, I think it would be a good idea to even have just one pub night there – maybe even the one coming up. I can reach out. I'm thinking maybe this next pub night would be like a pre-exam rager.

Julie: Yeah, so that could be a theme in itself.

Shivaansh: Yeah, I just had a similar thing to say to the other 1Ls, I've had some other students complain about how late the pub night started. A lot of people would not come to the Thursday pub nights because they'd be like, oh we have Crim in the morning and we need to go to bed...and a lot of people were requesting whether we could do something on Fridays. I said I would bring it up but Thursday is generally the night that L&L does events. I think the once-a-month is pretty decent, but I also think if 2 events is happening in a month (like in December if there was one for Christmas and one for New Year), maybe we could do two in that month? Otherwise, I think the once per month is fine.

Yuval: I just wanted to say one last thing. I don't know if maybe, for the upcoming pub night, if we could do like a holiday theme or – like, I feel like there are certain ways in which we can even just randomly choose a theme if nothing is going on just to make it a bit more fun and maybe ask the venue if, say like for music, if they can do an early 2000s playlist or maybe an Eras night (secretary's note: she's referring to the Taylor Swift Eras tour) or something like that. I feel like there are many ways we can make it kind of themed, even if it's not like an event or there isn't anything specific going on.

Joyce: I agree I think that's a good idea. We do have the creative control to do that. There are some venues where we don't have control over the music, but somewhere like Bar Low, they fully asked us what we want to hear so that would be easy to coordinate. Also, Julie, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think on the break we usually have programming and the same thing for Fridays, just because of certain religious observances.

Joyce: But I wouldn't mind planning something during the holiday. I just don't think we typically do.

Julie: We don't typically plan stuff during reading week or the break because that's designated time away from school. It's also our break, and we don't necessarily want the obligation of organizing and gathering people...If you guys want to then you can, but I don't know.

Kelly: (I had my hand up) I just wanted to say that I like the eras night idea, that's all.

Yuval: I do have a mooting thing at 1, so if I can speak just before I need to leave, thank you.

Joyce: (wrapping up) there's a rumour going around that L&L is releasing lists of people on different associations or something, I said as far as I'm aware I haven't heard of us doing anything like that. I just wanted to ask if anybody heard anything about that. And confirm with Julie that L&L isn't doing anything of the sort.

Julie: Before Tanya and Grace speak, I just want to clarify that nobody under L&L has access to any membership lists or anything like that (including myself). The only thing we have access to is the names of the signing officers of clubs that are ratified under us. Only the VP of Communications of the various clubs would have access to that. We have a listserv of every single student at Osgoode but that doesn't give us any information about the clubs that they belong to.

Tania: Grace and Hillary can go first and then I'll fill in the gaps.

Grace: I have heard rumours about L&L making a separate statement about all the stuff going on. What I've said is that we stand with and mirror what the university has already put out. But I have heard more substantive rumours about what L&L and Student Caucus put out. I think it could be helpful for us to release a statement saying that we mirror what the university has said.

Hillary: I wasn't aware of this rumour but to clarify, when every club ratifies they need to submit a membership list with everyone's student number, this is just to ensure that the club has interest from the student community.

Hillary: But I've told people too that just because they're endorsing the club, it doesn't mean they're a member of the club. Some people sign up to be a member and then never participate. It's just an administrative requirement. I do have access to at least 10 members of each club that belong to that club, but it's just on my own Onedrive and it's confidential, nobody else has access to it. But yeah, weird rumour...

Julie: Yeah, exactly. I was saying before that it would be helpful to know how many people are in this club so if it's like, a hundred people we would give more money but if it's 12 people we would give money accordingly, but we don't have access to that information because they are only required to put 10 members as the minimum number and therefore everyone just puts 10. We don't have much more info beyond that.

Hillary: Can I ask a quick question? Why are we concerned about club lists? I just don't get why this was brought up.

Joyce: It's to do with the conflicting political stances that different groups are making...I'm trying to be sensitive here. I think the concern comes from a lot of people elsewhere being blasted and facing consequences, whether it be in their workplaces or in an academic setting, for things posted by certain groups they are a part of. Like, I think we saw an example of that with the TMU students who signed a statement and then a firm revoked a student's employment offer. Same with the student union, people are just getting blacklisted basically and students don't want to fear that just because they're part of an association they'll be labelled one thing or the other or face consequences for stating an opinion. I think that's where the fear comes from.

Hillary: Oh okay, right, thank you for clarifying that. That was my assumption but I wasn't sure, since I've been out of the country.

Joyce: I did want to say, I think it would be tough for us as L&L to come up with a statement that's going to please everybody. I was just of the opinion that not saying anything may be better, and we could leave that stuff to the school and other associations. Tanya, maybe you have a better opinion on this, or if anyone else wants to chime in, but I only bring that up, even if we were to say something as we stand with the university, that is making a statement in some way that I don't know would be entirely helpful. But please feel free to correct me.

Tania: Thanks for bringing this up, Joyce, because I also heard about this and didn't necessarily want to talk about it, but regardless, I think that what Julie and Hillary have said, that it's a very limited amount of people who have access to that information (secretary's note: the club membership lists), I don't think that matters. I think that's more, I guess like disturbing or upsetting, is the fact that people are feeling scared because they have this perception.

Tania: I think, maybe it was a hollow threat or a joke, but I've worked very hard to cultivate relationships with equity-seeking groups and people on campus, and it feels like that work was washed by the rumours. Even if we can't do anything, I just know that we should be mindful of the things that we say and how we don't necessarily know who's going to say to who, what, and how things get misconstrued over time. I think you can comfortably reassure members of equity-seeking clubs that we don't have that information, but at the same time, recognize that their fear is real, even if we can't do anything about it, it's a very anxiety-inducing thing to be like oh, somebody's threatened to release my name to somewhere that could affect my employment and my livelihood for the summer. It's equity-seeking groups who are releasing these statements. There are so many differing opinions, even with L&L, that would make it challenging to make a statement. I don't know if we could even reach a consensus on what to say that would make everyone happy. I agree and I also haven't been saying I stand with the university. I also have spoken with members of JLSA and MLSA. JLSA has asked if we post anything if they can take a look at it first which I think is reasonable, and with MLSA, they've been very clear that they don't necessarily need us to release a statement, and they feel like it may even hurt their membership so if anyone is pressuring us to release a statement, to let them know. That's what I've heard from those groups and me and Julie have spoken with the admin as well. So that's the context that I can provide.

Shivaansh: I agree with everything Tania has said. It's upsetting that people are fearful of that because it has happened at other schools, the stuff where their job opportunities were affected...I know something similar also happened at Harvard. I think

releasing a statement, at least from the perspective of Sec B, some people were unhappy with York's statement. They felt that the school should be representing all the students. I think representing everybody, which L&L is supposed to do as well, is very difficult, and I don't think we can universally release a statement that everyone appreciates.

Shivaansh: In my opinion, we could post something that's like, facts about L&L and one of them could be that membership to student groups is something that nobody has access to.

Hillary: Historically, L&L releasing statements has never gone well, at least during the 3 years that I've been here. I just think people will always take the liberty of understanding things differently, so I would say let's just not open that discussion.

Hillary: I agree that the only thing we can clarify is that the club membership list does not exist. It does not exist for us, all we have is the 10 people list and that is confidential. Other than that, I don't think we should take any action.

Reagan: I've heard similar rumours conflating things from other student groups with L&L's stance on the matter. I think it's just a consequence of people's misperceptions of what L&L does and represents, and what it can influence like what our opinions are vs the opinions of a club vs the opinions of the admin, etc.

Reagan: So I feel like while I do agree that we probably shouldn't say anything because it just doesn't seem like it'll end well for anybody if we do release anything, it should almost just kind of be like a clarification of what L&L does and what it represents and what its capacity is.

Reagan: Kind of like what Hillary's point was, we could say that yes we do have ratified clubs, but we don't have an exhaustive list of club membership. Just to clarify general misconceptions instead of releasing an outright statement.

Julie: This kind of goes back to our first meeting when this happened, and our stance in that meeting was that we were not going to release a statement. I was very clear with people that I was not going to take a clear stance or reach a consensus as a team. It's not productive for us to do that. We won't be releasing a universal statement. But we can clarify that the membership list for clubs does not exist. I can ask Zamir to create a cute Instagram story. Maybe we can include it in our highlights? Something that clarifies that we ratify clubs but we never require a full membership list from them. I also agree with Tanya that we have a good rep with the equity groups, so it's a little shitty that whoever started the rumour gave us this rep, but I don't think it's that detrimental and I think we can salvage it by launching this infographic and sharing it amongst our own circles. I don't think anything else needs to be done on this issue. If anyone gets more comments on this, they can just direct people to the admin because we are not expected to be experts on this and to figure it out. Like we are not the ones providing accommodation and resources. All we can do is redirect and amplify.

Shivaansh: I'm not sure if the upper years know this but there's a 1L group chat, like the class of 2026, and someone shared a resource that was supporting Palestine. There was a huge fight on that group chat that went on until noon on Monday. Eventually, the admin sent an email about it to the entire 1L student body. People were getting really passionate about it in the group chat, which is why I'm wary about sharing any sentiments or taking any stance as L&L.

Reagan: Similar to the resources we posted 1-2 months ago, I feel like we can similarly handle this situation. Like addressing the situation without explicitly addressing it? I echo Shivaansh's sentiments that the argument in the chat made a lot of people feel unsafe and uncomfortable to be both in that group chat and the classroom, so I don't think anything we say will have any impact on what's happening anyway.

Julie: Yeah, this situation is shitty any way that you put it. But this fight didn't happen on an L&L platform, so maybe the blessing, in this case, is we didn't have to police that fight, it's still shitty that it happened and that people are feeling that way though.

Tania: the only thing is that the admin of the group chat was a caucus rep, so when it happened they did ask us if this was an L&L or caucus thing and if we could kick people out, but I think the email released by the school clarified for people that it wasn't officially associated with us.

Julie: I think the email they're talking about was sent to the whole student body, I saw it too. Usually, students individually create the section-specific chats so that's not our jurisdiction. I'll make 2 more points and then we can wrap up. I also know we haven't heard updates from Grace and Hillary, do you guys have anything to add?

Reagan: The only thing that I would add is that the admin of the unofficial group chat is a caucus rep, so when it was starting to happen, people were coming and saying like, oh is this an L&L thing? Is this a Caucus thing? Like can you kick people out? And so that was a discussion that has to be had too, but I think the email from the admin clarified that it was not a school-sanctioned account, so.

Joyce: Reagan can I ask you to forward me that email just for my own curiosity?

Reagan: Yeah, for sure.

Julie: Tania do you want to say anything else about this topic and then we'll move on? I just have 2 more really quick points to make and then maybe we can wrap up.

Tania: Oh, mine wasn't even about this. I'm backtracking. I just wanted to say that I think even more than an infographic, like maybe what we can do is just send an email to all the equity-seeking clubs. It would just be like, hey guys, we've heard about this. I think that's more prevalent than informing the student body at large because it's only affecting clubs that want to put out a statement as a group, so I think that might be. A more effective way to handle it.

Julie: Sure, maybe we can just send that email and not like, a public thing. I think it's still helpful to do the infographic since people are always confused about the difference between L&L and Caucus.

Julie: I mean it doesn't have to be like an urgent thing but I think at some point doing some kind of short infographic would be nice, just to get the information out there. I know that we didn't do updates from Grace and Hillary, right? Do you guys have anything to add?

HILLARY

Hillary: I don't really have any updates except for like a reminder to everyone who's not a 1L to keep updating the transition manual because there are lots of new things that happened and then the York University and Osgoode always change a couple of things and I think it's just helpful too.

Hillary: Updating as you go because by the end of the year, you might forget a couple of things. But that's it. Just getting ready to go back to Toronto now, I'll be back next month so I'm excited for that.

Hillary: It would also be nice if the 3Ls could maybe have a welcome-back from exchange pub night. It's something that I could also talk to Armon about but it would be nice to have that occasion. But that's all the updates I have.

Julie: Thank you. And Grace?

GRACE

Grace: My update is just that the agenda distribution went really well. Thanks Tanya and thanks to the 1Ls. I've heard such good things about them. I'm going to try and ask around and see if they've actually been helpful.

Grace: I would appreciate it if the 1Ls could provide me feedback on whether they would want us to bring agendas back since me and Julie kind of decided on discontinuing the agendas because we never really got to distribute them that well before, but not that they're doing well...it'll be interesting to see in the next month or so. If it's worth spending our money on that we may want to reconsider it.

Also just shifting my focus to the 2L formal. If 1Ls want to help with that, they can message me!

JULIE

Julie: Thank you. Okay, I just have one comment regarding this, I guess Armon's not in the chat, but for the 1Ls, just a reminder that if you're signing any contract or sending any deposit on behalf of L&L, we need to have a motion so that could be done through email or like in a meeting, but yeah we need to do that. You can't just run it by me. It needs to go through the whole executive. And then, for the Blue Mountain retreat, Joyce talked about it briefly earlier, but if we, or if anyone wants to be on that committee, it currently is very 3L heavy which is fine but if anyone else wants to join that could be nice so we have some 1L representation on there. And in regards to the JCR process, this is a little bit more like admin stuff, but if you ever get questions about it or you're on a club and you're trying to book an event on campus...Hillary sent out an email to the clubs to make it easier, but basically, if anyone books the JCR then that's just done through us. It doesn't need to go through like, the university, but if they need equipment like speakers or whatever, that's with OEO and it requires the L&L cost center number (which is how the school charges us, which we take out of the club's budget for that semester). So it's a little more complicated if they want speakers or mikes and stuff like that for the JCR event.

Julie: This means that that needs to take place a little bit more in advance, so if you ever get comments or questions about how to rent equipment, it's kind of through us, but mainly it's through the OEO office and it requires some time in advance. And off-campus events don't require any approval from us or admin.

Julie: But I think that's it! That is all I had to address.

Hillary: Can I ask when the Blue Mountain Retreat is? Is that January or February?

Julie: So we're aiming for like end of January, I think immediately after the 1L recruit.

Hillary: Oh, sounds great.

Julie: Yeah it'll just be like, a weekend before it gets too busy with school work. But it's still after the 1L recruit.

Julie: And like clinic recruit or clinic applications, it's after all of that.

Julie: Okay I think that's it. Thanks guys. It was a little bit longer than I thought, but I'm glad we all got to talk about some important things. I'll motion to adjourn the meeting now. Can I get a seconder?

Tania: Second.

Julie: Okay, all those in favour of returning the meeting.

Everyone raises their hands.

Julie: Amazing. Have a good day everyone!