

Minutes

October 12, 2022

12:30 PM EST

Zoom

Present: Courtney Cameron (Chair), Jessica Li, Damiana Pavone, Hillary Song, Rose Wong, Christina Tassopoulos, Jaylene Olson, Danielle Landry, and Melissa Paglialunga

Regrets: Ayesha Khanna

Call to Order (12:37pm)

President's Items

Updates Round Table

Courtney: I have quite a few updates. An e-motion will come out once we have the section B rep elected. Adam, our CEO, didn't want to host the election because of conflicting Jewish holidays but he will host it this week. I didn't want to invite the three elected and leave the last one out for his meeting. I didn't want the last person to feel left out. We have to ratify those election results. I am still drafting the constitutional amendment, so we won't pass that at this meeting. Jaylene and I met with the Deans last week and we discussed two main things. The first is that the Osgoode Student Toolkit has been updated in some ways that will make Jess' life easier because it has outlined how to run events on- and off-campus. If you do get this inquiry, direct them to the Osgoode Student Toolkit. Melissa is to add something in the upcoming newsletter. The second thing is also in the Osgoode Student Toolkit. We talked about Zoom Bombing, specifically at the Women of Colour Panel last year. They have a report from it, and we went through it together. In response, they added a Zoom Safety Guide to the Osgoode Student Toolkit for clubs to look at and hopefully better prepare clubs with the mechanics of how to get people out who are causing a disturbance. They have also added that someone from tech will always be available if you let them know when your event is ahead of time. Melissa, can we also add this point in the newsletter?

**Melissa nods in agreement. **

Jaylene: They also have funding available for clubs to use the webinar function in Zoom.

Courtney: If a student group just has a speaker, for example, Osgoode has put funding aside for groups to use Zoom webinar for those types of panels. The final thing about Zoom Safety to mention that as part of this report related to the Zoom Bombing at the Women of Colour panel, admin wants all L&L clubs to participate in Zoom safety training. I am thinking that this is something that we are going to have to work through – Jess and I together. Perhaps that looks like a bylaw (so we don't need to change the constitution) or going forward, we include it as an additional requirement or clubs to be ratified.

Jess: This year, when we held the All-Clubs Meeting, I included Zoom safety training. You had to attend the meeting in order to be ratified. So, we have this covered for clubs this year.

Courtney: For next year, admin wants a more formal training and a more comprehensive process outlined. We can model it off what York has us do. For now, they have the basics. Also, they want us to add the Zoom safety guide to our website, so it is accessible. Ayesha can add it.

Courtney: Alright I will pass it along for the rest of the team's updates but before doing so, Ayesha is not feeling well so she asked me to share her quick updates with all of you. She has been working so hard on getting the JCR nights approved. She did it, it is happening, and the grand opening is tonight. She got approval for every Wednesday until the end of the year.

Melissa: I can go next! Things have been going very well. I have been sending out the weekly newsletters on Sunday and have been updating all the meeting minutes once they have been approved by consent.

Jess: In terms of my updates, as I mentioned last meeting, MLSA really wanted an office. I was able to find office space. OUTLaws was happy to share theirs. The two groups are already in contact with each other to figure out how to divide it up. I have also been helping clubs set up events and I am going to send email out with more details on TUSS forms on our behalf. Clubs have to send it out as L&L; they can still put their name and contact information but for position, they would put general member. I also had a meeting with the president of MLSA about a concern related to L&L events. I will talk about it in Other Business.

Hillary: I have one update which is essentially that during OCIs, I talked about L&L and what we do. Some firms have an interest in sponsoring a potential Diversity Week. I sent out an email to the Equity Seeking Groups to see if they are interested in collaborating on an initiative like that. I am going to see if I can get more firms to sponsor events for a potential Diversity Week.

Rose: I am going to distribute the agendas next week and I designed a poster for it to let students know. The dates are going to be next Tuesday for 1Ls and everyone else on the Wednesday. I spoke with the bookstore to talk about upcoming sale and that is going to go as planned. I am working on it for first week of November. Do you guys know who oversees branding at Osgoode? I am asking because maybe we could bring back a heritage line for the springtime. I have drafted a sponsorship letter for firms, but I am not sure if we need a price breakdown. I also got a question about Calvin about the Bankruptcy Club. They have an in-person event, and he wanted to know if the risk event form was submitted.

Jess: I already responded to him; he reached out to me as well.

Courtney: Perhaps Danielle can touch base with Rose about sponsorship for the 2L informal formal.

Danielle: We didn't have sponsorship last year. Usually, it is just L&L funding, and we cover the rest by selling tickets.

Courtney: We don't usually spend a ton of money on the 2L informal formal but if you want to host a larger event, I don't think you need a full comprehensive breakdown in a sponsorship letter.

Rose: I was also wondering, what kind of funding does the 2L rep usually get to go to events that aren't the 2L informal formal?

Courtney: The funding is discretionary so if you want \$500 or something you would bring it up in an L&L meeting and we would discuss it.

Rose: Okay thanks and who is branding?

Melissa: I think I may have the branding contacts. I can send them to you via email

Jess: I would also like to be looped in about branding. I want better gifts for speakers, etc. We can work on that together.

Jaylene: The branding folks also might be in the commercial affairs office. I know that the photographer for the website works in there.

Christina: I don't have any updates until my agenda items.

Damiana: I am doing reimbursements. I also wanted to state as a reminder that nobody on L&L has a set budget; if you want to do event, you can't go wild, you have to show me how much, what are you covering, where is the money going, etc.

Jaylene: For Student Caucus, we did have our first meeting with the 1L reps last week. Some of the classes are still having issues with accessibility in the classroom. There are issues around certain professors and pronouns. The other thing is that certain causes are being discussed in criminal law. We also finalized all student appointments to committees. The Lincoln Alexander School of Law is looking for letters of support for an L&L to be formed at their school – the request to support has come in. I might connect with each of you, asking how have events been supported by your organization that charges fees.

Danielle: For tomorrow's joint pub night, we have 115 people signed up from U of T, 89 people from Osgoode, and 35 people from Lincoln Alexander. I am looking forward to it!

Courtney: Have we chatted since last pub night? It sounded like it was a huge hit!

Danielle: We haven't, but I am glad to hear it was a success. I am looking forward to the Halloween one the most. The pub is going to be decorated; there will be candy. That's on the 27TH – the Thursday before Halloween.

Courtney: Should we put the poster out soon?

Melissa: I can put in the newsletter too.

Third Year Representative's Items

Yearbook Committee & Class of 2023 Photo

Christina: The yearbook guy has followed up with me about starting to get everything going. I didn't realize it would start this early. I wanted to send out an option for 3Ls to help, and I wanted to set up a link to a Google Drive for people to start submitting photos. In terms of the Class of 2023 photo, we didn't get one on first day of orientation because of COVID-19 and I want people to have one. I want to organize it and wanted to know who I should reach out to.

Courtney: I would touch base with Karen Drake. She would be the best person.

Grad Photo Room Booking

Christina: The studio wants a room where they can set up their equipment and leave it there for 3 days. The OEO doesn't want to do that. I have booked Helliwell for November 1-2 and 15-16; those were the only days they could offer me. They asked me to ask L&L to use the JCR. We would need 3 consecutive days for the photos. Is this possible?

Courtney: As long as we can find three days, I see no issue with it as we do have keys to the JCR. However, there's going to be expensive equipment and that is not included in our JCR insurance. We might have to have a discussion with them to make sure they have their own insurance. We can start by seeing if we can even find the days and if we can, we can chat about making sure they have insurance. We also need to make sure they know that the JCR is a glass room.

Yearbook Quote Approval

Christina: Melissa sent the yearbook quote through email. It is pretty much what we did last year. It asked for how many books and pages, and I think we should stick with what we did last year. I think the 56 pages is still going to be the best. If anyone else has different ideas, please let me know before we sign it.

Jaylene: Do students pay a certain amount for the yearbook?

Christina: Students don't pay anything. L&L covers it.

Courtney: Yeah, I am confirming that students don't have to pay for them.

Motion: *THAT* the L&L signs and approves the yearbook quote specifications with Friesens for the 2022-2023 year.

(Tassopoulos / Cameron) CARRIED.

Other Business

Jess: I had meeting with a representative from MLSA earlier today and she addressed concerns about L&L events. For context, we did not provide funding for a social event they requested for. They requested \$4000 and we gave them just under \$1500, which didn't include funding for a bowling event. We didn't want to prioritize events that were just for club members. They were okay with that and were not asking for additional funding, but they did want to bring up the fact that L&L doesn't provide a lot of events for students that don't include drinking. This is why they felt the need to have bowling event, and they wanted us to understand where they were coming from. If L&L isn't going to fund them for those kinds of events, they want us to be aware of those needs and be more inclusive going forward. This concern was brought to me and is very valid. I do not want to discourage or discredit events the events we have had so far, but we should be mindful of that moving forward.

Courtney: This point is super valid. It totally makes sense – we have focused on Pub Nights and the JCR. In addition to shifting to events with no alcohol, we should even make existing spaces a bit more inclusive. For example, the JCR could have a mocktail so here is an option if they want to be in that space.

Jess: Once a month we could have a Dry JCR Night. It's not just about whether they are drinking, but the environment too.

Courtney: For Dry JCR Nights, we could bring game nights in.

Jess: MLSA also said they are happy to consult with us or expand their events to other Osgoode students. For example, they are doing a bowling night for their club (covered by external sponsorship) and if we want to make joint event, we can do that.

Courtney: I love that they invited us but don't want to take over their event. I would want to collaborate on another event.

Courtney: Danielle, you and I should look to send up a meeting with them.

Danielle: Definitely!

Courtney: Thanks for bringing that forward Jess! Any other business?

**Everyone nods indicating that here is no other business. **

Adjournment (1:21pm)

Motion: *THAT* we adjourn.

(Cameron / Li) CARRIED

Consent Agenda

The item on the Consent Agenda, the Minutes of the meeting of 28 September, 2022 was deemed approved.