

The Legal & Literary Society of Osgoode Hall Law School

Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, October 11th, 12:30 pm (hybrid)

In attendance: Julie, Robert, Kelly, Joyce, Zamir, Athaven, Grace, Tania, Reagan, Kaylie, Shivaansh, Yuval

With regrets: Hillary, Armon, Jess

Agenda

Call to Order

President's Items

1. Revamping the JCR – what can we do to increase usage?

Joined by Athavan, the JCR Bar Manager

Word on the street is JCR events are poorly attended, what can we do to encourage the student body to use the JCR?

Athaven: we've traditionally worked as a cash bar, but we've talked about getting a square or something to allow digital payments. In terms of free drinks, unless there are sponsorships to provide the funds, the JCR itself cannot fund free drinks. The bartenders also get paid partially from their tips. If they can get sponsors, they're happy to run those kinds of events. And they do have a budget re: bar improvement and accessibility. Our prices are already pretty cheap too (5 dollars for a drink).

Teams: it's hard to want to drink in the JCR if you're living off campus, so if there's something else we can put in the JCR to encourage people to use it (like if we put things in the JCR to make them want to stay after they have a drink).

Julie: if we allocated 2-3 hundred dollars for the 1L reps to up the aesthetics/vibe of the JCR so the 1Ls will want to use it, we can fund that. We're trying to mostly target people who live or are already on campus. That's mostly 1Ls, which is why we're saying that the 1Ls are best positioned to address that.

Teams: What if we make it like a watch party, when there's a football game for example? We wandered into the JCR on a Thursday before and there was nobody in there. If we can make it more like you're there for a purpose.

Athaven: the space has to be open and accessible for everyone, so something to keep in consideration. Something we've done in the past is shut off all the lights and put on flashing/disco lights so that when people walk by they realize there's an event going on.

Julie: Can we make it a thing to use the disco balls every Thursday?

Athaven: Yeah we can make that a thing.

Robert: Last year everyone would go before Lawyer as Negotiator and the class started at 7, so between 4 to 7 it was crowded.

Teams: in regards to the payment methods, if we could use etransfer, that would probably be accessible to a lot of people.

Julie: We could do etransfer when we get the square set up. It would also be difficult to set up a tip option with etransfer (like, figuring out what portion someone intended to be a tip, or prompting them to tip at all).

Joyce: Even just dimming the lights and playing the music a little louder, that's free but it would indicate that there's something meant to be happening in the JCR. Also, last year when we were in 1L, I remember karaoke brought a lot of people in. Just something for everyone to do – I think setting up something to get people involved would attract people.

Julie: We have a karaoke machine in the L&L office and Grace confirmed that it works, so even for the 1L events, if you want to do a section-specific karaoke night, that's free and available at the JCR. The \$400 (Sec note: that each rep is allocated) could then be spent towards free drinks for the section.

Yuval: Food, too. Grilled cheese is really cheap, if we could provide something easy to make and distribute, it's just an idea. Something easy. The line was always massive for the grilled cheese.

Julie: I'll see if we can get a panini press for on-campus. I'm not against the idea but it would just put the onus on someone to show up and make grilled cheeses. Private message me if you want to volunteer for the grilled cheese committee. If I have enough interest to justify buying a panini press, I'll do that. **Julie's taking names for grilled cheese committee volunteers. If we get enough interest, we'll do it.**

Joyce: We can totally have a committee, but it doesn't have to be the same people every single week. We can rotate between different members. You don't have to be there every single pub night. We just need a general idea of who we can contact for a shift.

Julie: **Anybody who's interested in being involved with the JCR, just message Zamir and he's going to start a group chat/google doc** where we can brainstorm and turn these ideas into action items.

2. Update on current events from the Deans

Julie:

This agenda item was written before York put out their statement, and then Dean Farrow endorsed it. What we had discussed was that we were going to wait until York said something first before we acted.

Tania and I spoke and we think it's best if students address all their comments to the admin instead of us.

That's where we're standing right now.

Julie: We can send a student support email mid-week, or would you guys rather we include it in our usual Sunday newsletter? Just because the Osgoode admin already sent out something yesterday, I don't know if there's a purpose for us to send out our own email too.

Tania: I spoke with the JLSA and MLSA, in passing, and they said that they are comfortable if we can compile a list of student supports for them to send directly to their listservs. If we want to do something that will be targeted at the students who are affected, that would be a way for us to get that information out without having to send a separate email about it.

Teams: if we're going to post on Instagram, we could create a template graphic.

Julie: That would be great, if you could send it to Zamir and I and we could post it to the stories.

3. REFERENDUM Live Next Tuesday – 1Ls please post in your chats & upper years post in your old section group chats.

Happening live next Tuesday, graphics are going up soon, only ask that they get shared on the 1L section group chats.

4. Sponsorship update from Director of Outreach (1.5k)

5. Socials: this week Pub night mixer joint w. uoft / tmu & Halloween pub night (Ask Joyce to announce)

Joyce: This week on Thursday we're having our joint pub night with UofT and TMU at Sneaky Dees. If we all push it, on our socials, for example, I think that would be really helpful for turnout. Last year it was really fun, it was a good way for us to meet people from other schools and network. And then Oct 26th is our Osgoode pub night.

Grace: I know a lot of people from TMU will be going, and there's a group from UofT that goes to Sneaky Dees every Thursday so they'll be going.

Joyce: Please, just repost on your story even if you don't intend on showing up. Even if one person comes because you reposted, it makes a difference. And on the 26th we're having our pub night, it's at Bar Lowe.

Julie: I think the consensus is that we want it to be a costume party (so that Rob can dress up as Edward Scissorhands). Can we set aside 50 to 100 dollars for best costume prizes?

Jess: How do you guys pick the venue for pub nights?

Joyce: At the beginning of the year I sent out inquiry emails to a bunch of places that I thought would be nice

Julie: also accessible

Joyce: yeah and I got responses from some of them, and those are the venues that we're working with for the pub nights.

Moving forward, I would want to make it clear that we need to be inclusive of the entire student body to be involved with these tri-school pub nights. I wasn't sure what to say (about the venue for the tri-school pub night not being accessible).

Julie: I do think on the main ground floor, there is a bathroom and there is a bar. It's just if people want to go upstairs –

Joyce: To dance. Everyone will be upstairs though.

Rob: Yeah everyone is upstairs mostly.

Tania: Yeah. Not great. Lots of students use mobility devices. It's not something I want to brush off. It's just like, if you know any students who have an issue...are we advertising this people? Just so you know we're not able to accommodate wheelchairs? What if people show up on the day? How do we market this to people so they know that the space isn't really accessible?

Kelly: I used to go to UofT and I'm really surprised they would choose an inaccessible venue because I know that for undergraduate unions to book spaces for events, it needs to be accessible or they don't get funding. I guess that doesn't apply to their law school?

Julie: I think it does and they just don't care.

Joyce: Moving forward, these are conversations that I can have with students, you can direct them to me.

Tania: I think we all need to be cognizant of the situation that this puts our student reps in too. I just had a meeting with DisCo last week and I don't think it looks the best on us when we participate in these events, as if we're okay with it not being accessible. Even if it helps us with our relationships with other schools, we don't want to exclude disabled students from the space.

Sivan: Should we put a disclaimer that the second floor isn't accessible?

Grace: I think we definitely should. I have friends who wouldn't be able to get up to the second floor, I think we should warn them. I also think we should discuss our policy moving forward regarding events in inaccessible spaces.

Julie: Last year there was also an event that was exclusively upstairs at UofT. I told them that we got complaints stating it wasn't accessible and that we want it to be better addressed. Maybe we can make it clear that all the students will also be invited to the downstairs space since we do also have access to the downstairs.

Zamir: Why don't we just say that it's a two-floor venue, and the upper floor is only accessible via the stairs?

Reagan: Can we draft something to put in the section group chats?

Teams: I can draft something.

6. Club budgets being approved on October 10th in the evening (direct all questions to Hillary, Jess or Kelly on how to get reimbursed etc before giving out any uncertain info)

Hillary's update: nothing major, just that clubs have gotten their budgets today.

Other Business

Adjournment

Secretary's Note: The placeholder "Teams" is used in lieu of any names not visible while writing the notes.