

## **Minutes**

**10 November 2021**

**12:30 PM EST**

### **Zoom**

**Present: Alex Mulligan (Chair), Jordan Crocker, Nushrah Amod, Mario Lofranco, Danielle Landry, Jessica Li, Christina Tassopoulos, Courtney Cameron, Valentina Gavis, Kelly Bilenkis, Hillary Song, Imani Theodore, Armon Ghaeinizadeh**

### **Call to Order (12:33)**

*Land acknowledgement said by J. Crocker*

### **President's Items**

#### Updates Roundtable

Jess: Events calendar is running. Clubs will be able to access it. In caucus meeting, said it would be good to include CDO events in the calendar as well, so I will figure out how to do that. Office hours are set up on website.

Jordan: Nothing too much. Budgets are taken care of. If anyone is interested in faculty recruitment, they hiring a torts prof and students can give input.

Courtney: Pub night on Thursday for 3Ls! Right now there are 61 sign ups so that is a good sign. I have saved spots for L&L people to come and help if they would like.

Alex: Professor Drake is coming!

Nush: No updates except that Val and I are planning Mental Health and Wellness Week (MHWW). Planning it for week of November 22<sup>nd</sup>, I know it's late but recovering from the recruit right now and I won't have time to plan it before then. I am thinking of including a yoga event. If anyone wants to help, let me know.

Christina: No updates. I would like to help with MHWW.

Mario: I am meeting with Dan, who runs the finance website on Friday.

Danielle: Nothing on my end. I am also willing to help with MHWW.

Val: I started contacting venues for formal, getting some quotes back. Lots to figure out with Professor Drake regarding capacity and COVID restrictions. The only thing I am worried about is that a lot of places need a deposit. I am scared to put a deposit down if things change. I also want to remind Mario that we got invoice for the yearbooks. Alex and I have to figure out how to distribute. People are very excited for pub night.

Imani: Not much for me. Trying to talk to my section to see what they want for next semester and hoping to do things in person. Planning events outside of Osgoode.

Hillary: Not too much to update. Not getting emails from the office hours thing so if someone can send me a test email. My picture also is not on the website. Planning an online event for my section that we will discuss later. Had really good feedback for calendar.

Jess: I will fix the photos on the website

Kelly: Jot many updates. Just hosting unofficial events in my section. Also wondering what's happening with in person events next semester.

Armon: I have no updates. Are pub nights a thing again?

Courtney: Yeah, so the plan right now is unfortunately that we can only do one class per week.

Alex: My updates are that I just had a meeting with the Deans and Chloe. Side notes, congrats to the 2Ls on the recruit. Ana lordache is joining us to discuss return to campus because she is the bar manager.

### Return to Campus + Winter Welcome

Alex: Next semester we are going back in-person fully. Pretty much fully set, just some motions that need to be passed. Our job will be student life and community development (fun stuff). But we don't have an events framework yet for what will be allowed. Spoke candidly with the Deans to say that it is weird that we could sit in a class with 75 people and not have in person events. Deans very much want us to host a return to campus slate of events in person. Don't know what that will look like necessarily. Anticipate it won't be completely return to normal. But there is a framework being developed for student events. We have time to think about this but planning to host these events either the first or second week back as a sort of "winter welcome week". We will need all hands on deck. There will be tours of the building for second years. Prof Drake and Mya want to help with tours. Everyone will need to think of potential events that you would want us to host. BRING IDEAS TO NEXT MEETING.

There were a lot of by-laws passed pre-pandemic for accessibility so we need to keep that in consideration. Ana will get to open the bar.

Nush: maybe a good idea would be to circulate the by-law to everyone just to prevent anything serious. There are a few equity-seeking groups that have date requirements so run things by me before finalizing plans.

Alex: I will send out the accessibility policy.

Ana: So should the bar be ready to open by first day of next semester? Will we have access to the building during Christmas break?

Alex: Yes, be prepared. I don't think you will have access to building before the semester starts

Ana: Okay, I will order some stuff ahead of time

Armon: How are the pub nights happening this month?

Alex: I want to keep the conversation about return to campus just because we have to really start figuring it out.

Courtney: Armon, if you want to collaborate about the 1L pub night, we can. Just message me outside of the meeting

Armon: Okay, I am mostly just wondering how will the 1Ls know when it is their turn?

Alex: We will advertise it

Armon: Okay thanks

Jess: So for Winter Welcome Week, are we starting right on the Wednesday (the 5<sup>th</sup>)? I will not be available until the 10<sup>th</sup>.

Alex: We might do tours the first week and then start events the full week after.

Jordan: Is orientation involved in this? I think L&L resources alone might be a bit stretched

Alex: Yes good point. In terms of committee, I don't think we have many options, I think we will all need to work hard because it will just be us working on it mostly.

Imani: Should we planning events based on our section or the whole 1L class?

Alex: The winter welcome back will be school-wide.

Imani: I also think I could do a tour.

Alex: great.

Nush: I think we can just gauge interest from any 3Ls who would want to volunteer for tours. That is also easier because people will be on campus at different times. I can take over this planning.

Alex: Great, thank you. I want a LOT of ideas. Really think about it.

Alex: Also, Chloe and I raised security concerns with the Deans. On Monday there was an incident in the JCR and people not from Osgoode came in. People called security and security never came to help. We have raised the concerns with Phyllis at Osgoode. Dean Condon is raising it with VP of Campus Safety at York about the Passy issue. Hopefully this will work and make things better. It has been escalated.

Kelly: Just as a clarification, this problem is not just at Passy. It is all of York. Just curious what next steps might look like?

Alex: I am not sure right now, we will have to wait to hear back.

#### Year-End Formals

Alex: 1Ls and 3Ls have full formals. Historically it has been done at fancy venues. Val has started planning. 1Ls, need to start thinking about venues. I will set up a meeting with you. Typically, it is approximately a \$12-15,000 budget. You will also apply for Dean's funding. Then you sell tickets. Tickets could be between 75-80 dollars. Law Prom tickets are typically around the 100 dollar range because it is a 30,000 budget. Basically have to be on Thursday. Asterisk here is that we don't know what the framework will be like but we need to start planning. Deans told me that there is a change coming in TUUS where TUUS just needs to be notified, not so much approve an event even for ski trip.

Armon: did the 1Ls do something at the CN Tower?

Alex: no that was law prom. It's quite expensive.

Armon: Boat cruise. How much would that cost and could we do that?

Alex: I would assume that it would be a possibility. The issues are that it will still be a little chilly in March. Depending on the water levels, the boats become no longer accessible. It was \$12,000.

Mario: Maybe we can consult with David Lepofsky.

Alex: yes good idea.

Val: from what I remember on the boat, we had our class but there isn't a lot of capacity for plus ones which is usually a thing for 1L formal.

Alex: Ripley's was an option

Val: That would not be very good. Environmental groups would likely be against that.

Alex: we will work on planning these. It is very exciting. If you find a venue, we need to be mindful that there could be random restrictions that come up and so any contract negotiations, please CC me. Also thinking about ski trip. Don't want the Deans there, but if we submit a TUUS form, the Deans would have to come.

Alex: Courtney, get some quotes. See when ELGC papers will be due, figure out when 1L recruit is .

Armon: how much does it cost?

Val: Usually like 180. Includes two hotel nights in Blue Mountain and two bars and bus if you want.

Alex: it may change this year. Courtney said Blue Mountain isn't really allowing people to pick and choose if they want the bus or not. They want a package. People need to buy ski passes.

Courtney: also pubs there don't meet accessibility by-laws.

Nush: keep in mind that Karin had to put everything on her own personal credit card.

#### **Section B Rep Items**

Online Game Night – Budget

Hillary: really want to do an online event for my section. Talked about it in the chat. Want to do a game night. I wanted to do jeopardy. Could I get funds for gift cards to incentivize?

Mario: yes, should have enough money.

**Motion: *THAT the Legal and Literary Society gives Section B rep \$150 for the online game night event.***

**(Song/Amod) CARRIED.**

Alex: yes, if anyone else wants this, just bring it up.

### **Other Business**

Courtney: The Pint refuses to approve to all pub nights until we find out success of this Thursdays event.

Alex: what does that even mean?

Courtney: I know , it is frustrating because they had already agreed to three events and the TUUS forms have been approved only for the Pint. That is why I haven't publicized the other nights yet. Either way, I am sure we can make them happen, it just might not be at the Pint.

Nush: did they define what success meant?

Courtney: they said they had a lot of event requests and want to ensure they are getting enough money.

Jess: U of T had a club night at Love Child so that could be a backup. I wanted to follow up with Wendy Babcock, they're asking for our help and want to know if it will be in person, what should I tell them?

Alex: tell them that we are working with the deans to get an answer. I don't know how easy it will implement health and safety at Wendy Babcock as opposed to in class. Not sure that will be allowed. May have to get L&L access to rooms and stream things into other rooms. Really unsure still, I'm sorry. But the deans are trying to help as much as they can. Let them know they've all been elevated and as soon as I get answers, I will let them know asap.

Jordan: We have to give out agendas. 1Ls have they been assigned to special projects?

Alex: no because no one sent me special projects. Send me the projects you want 1L help on and then I will put it to the 1Ls.

Jordan: I need an update on meeting with Mya.

Alex: This group wants to do an artist's law advisory thing. Want to become a clinic at Osgoode, but it is very difficult to become a clinic at Osgoode. We will tackle this in the new year. Might be able to get OPIR hours.

Alex: In sum, I will meet up with everyone to figure out formals. As soon as I hear from deans, I will share with everyone. I stressed we need quick action on security stuff.

**Motion: *THAT the meeting be adjourned.***

**(Tassopoulos/Mulligan) CARRIED.**

### **Adjournment (1:45pm)**

### **Consent Agenda**

The item on the Consent Agenda, the Minutes of the meeting of 27 October 2021, was deemed approved.