

Manuela: They don't want clubs telling Osgoode to broadcast events on the events calendar, that information needs to be through L&L.

Manuela: We can make our committee be a public channel on Slack. The calendar is just on our website. I have emailed all the 1L Rep section emails to invite people to it.

Cory: Chadd, when do you want the information for the L&L website for the 1L Reps?

Chadd: As soon as possible but no big rush.

Chadd: I will contact the photographer to have group photography for our team.

Manuela: We will also be doing a social.

Adjournment

Motion to adjourn by Matt, Steph seconds, all in favour. Meeting ends at 1:54PM.

L&L Meeting Agenda – October 10, 2018 (Room 2009)

Present: Rachael, Cory, Karin, Alina, Sarah, Chadd, Kaitlyn, Adam, Simi, Matt, Steph, Manuela, Ashley H, Ashley B

Regards: None

Call to Order

12:33PM

Minutes Ratification

Ashley H puts forward motion to approve minutes, Chadd seconds, all approve. Motion passes.

Law Society of Ontario (LSO) Articling Review

Manuela: This is more of a Student Caucus jurisdiction, but I will fill you all in. For 3Ls, this is worth knowing about because it could change the profession. From the survey sent out, we received over 100 responses from the first day. LSO is looking to change the licensing procedure with respect to articling. LSO has had some consultations and has put forward a 45-page report of suggestions for how we might amend the process for licensing. The survey provides some background and 4 options for people to choose from. I was also in a meeting with the Dean and all the Deans of Ontario law schools will give recommendations as well.

There are 4 options put forward: 1) Keep it the same – still have a barrister and solicitor exam, while continually adjusting to accommodate new developments; 2) LPP and articling, retained and enhanced, and also need to pass another skilled examination (3rd test); 3) Exam based licensing, in other words no articling or LPP if practice somewhere with 6 or more lawyers; and 4) everyone takes LPP.

There is a lot of emphasis on change, since a lot of new lawyers have varied practical experiences. For example, some people only do clinics and intensives, while others only do substantive work. Articling can also be varied so worried that lots of lawyers have the privileges that come with the profession, but don't have the practical experience to be effective in their roles. While some law schools, like Ryerson, want to focus on practical education, a lot of other schools want to focus on substantive work, which many people feel is old school. They don't want to have someone who has only read about the law and now has to take on a client. LSO will make some sort of choice within the next year.

Ashley B: Whom will the changes affect?

Manuela: Possibly the 2Ls, but unlikely. Maybe 1Ls, but we don't know for sure because there's no set timeline. As of now, LSO is just calling for input from Law schools. Feedback is due in October, and people can provide quick or thorough feedback.

Summary Database Submission Incentives

Adam: Some of the courses on the summary database have very few summaries, for example Conflict of Laws and Civ Pro 2. Therefore I was wondering if we have any capacity to incentivize people who have just graduated to send in summaries? I have been contacting people who have graduated and they have provided their summaries to me but no one in Osgoode has this advantage. This seems inequitable. It's also a huge change coming from 1L where there's so many summaries but once students get into niche courses, there's a lack of summaries available, especially when the professor is new. Any thoughts?

Chadd: That is a good idea to compile a list of classes we're missing summaries from and send the list to our alumni network. I can do that and see what courses are missing summaries and create the list. That is true that some courses have a lot of summaries available, while some do not.

Adam: Exactly, and student also don't have time to filter through all the summaries for quality. Just thought we should come up with a strategy to fill the gaps.

Manuela: I agree. That's also a good idea for new classes. It's really hard to get good summaries if class is just in its second year, for example. Chadd will compile the list and we can figure out how to send it out; it can even be via Facebook.

Obiter Article

Adam: There was an article in the Obiter about a student's experience at the Anishinaabe Law Camp, and some students were upset about the language used in the article.

Manuela:It is difficult to control what goes through Obiter, as they have no constitution. Freedom of press was a really pressing issue when Obiter was established.

Sarah:It would be helpful for clubs to have a spot on Obiter so their voices can be heard.

Simi:Is it possible to make it mandatory for some positions of power to have Anti O-training?

Manuela:Anti O-training was implemented last year. Several clubs planned the training shortly after ELGC. We received really positive feedback about the experience. Professor Berger liked the idea of bringing Anti O-training to students. We wouldn't make the full session mandatory, however it would be possible to have a version of it available. Caveat is that we would need funding for it and should still have equity seeking groups running it. It would also be good to have Anti Racial and O-training for faculty, and appoint an Equity Officer for faculty. It would be beneficial for OISA to meet with Obiter and L&L, in order to move forward positively.

Chadd:We should have a retraction of the article and then a meeting as well.

Manuela:We also need to have a mechanism in place for Obiter to ensure such a situation does not happen again.

Trivia Prize

Kaitlyn:I was wondering if people have ideas for prizes for trivia that don't require spending money?

Manuela:So far we have mugs and notepads. Ashley B and I will finalize budget tomorrow but yes there is limited funding for this.

Pub Night Attendance

Kaitlyn:I'm thinking of planning the last pub night this semester on November 15. Thoughts?

Simi:That week is Mental Health and Wellness Week. Please let me know when you figure it out. We could advertise it as a Mental Health and Wellness Week bash.

Kaitlyn:There was an issue with the venue for pub night last week. We got a DJ for it and they said only 2 people showed up. I had specified to them that it would run from 9PM-1AM, with last call being at 1:45AM. I also told them that most people wouldn't arrive until closer to 11PM.

Chadd:We showed up that night around 10:45PM, and said we were with Osgoode but they said that it was over.

Kaitlyn:Okay I will explain that to them, because we want to maintain a good relationship as they are a host for O-Week.

Ski Trip

Kaitlyn:I could use some help with planning it and 1L help would be great for the bus. I also wanted to touch base with the budget and was wondering if anyone had general feedback about ski trip?

Manuela:Ashley B and I will figure out the budget tomorrow so we know how much money we have for events like ski trip, town halls, 1L formal, Mental Health and Wellness Week etc. The numbers will be out by the weekend. Also as a reminder, if you have an executive project, please make a channel on Slack.

Cory and Karin volunteer to help with ski trip.

Chadd:For ski trip, I was wondering whether there is an option to opt out of the ski pass?

Kaitlyn:No, because it's a group pass but I will double check. It's minimum 20 packages but last year we only booked 16 packages. So I will see if we can get a package with no ski passes.

Simi:Ski trip is also very expensive.

Kaitlyn:Yes, it's about \$285 each.

Chadd:The layout of the weekend was good, operationally doesn't seem that anything has to change, but maybe an opt in and out skiing package would be good.

Other Business

Steph: 2 quick things. First, I'm trying to pick a day for 3L formal. Last year it was on March 15th on the Thursday. I want to do it on a Thursday again. Fashion Law Society is having a pub night on March 7th, so March 14th or 21st would be better. Intensive placements end on March 15th, and some of them are out of town. So I think March 21st would be best.

Kaitlyn: Fashion Law Society wants to do their fashion law event on Thursday and make it a pub night.

Manuela: Only the Athletics Association can charge on pub night.

Steph: Perhaps they could do the fashion show earlier and then have it be a pub night after.

Kaitlyn: Yeah that would work, since they can't charge for pub night.

Steph: Second thing is about L&L photos. I will send to the photographer a list of names of people on L&L and you can get your photo taken and there's no sitting fee. I will confirm dates. Adam, that goes for Student Caucus too.

Simi: I have something to say about Mental Health and Wellness Week. On Monday, Ellen will be here and we'll have alternative study rooms. On Tuesday, we should have zumba since we have an instructor at Osgoode and also have alternative study rooms. On Wednesday, there'll be cotton candy, popcorn, and the bouncy castle. Peer Support Centre is also having a paint night. On Thursday getting clubs to do something. Is anyone good with photo shop?

Karin:

Simi: I'm okay, but will need your help.

Simi: I also want to do something that we're all apart of, like a promotional video about learning to breathe. Waiting on budget.

Manuela: Numbers will be out this weekend

Simi: Second thing is to let you know that I'm trying to meet with equity seeking groups because they feel like they don't get funded well enough.

Rachael: Some people came up to me about issues they had when I was tabling. Someone suggested idea of full time accommodations officer because they have that at other law schools.

Sarah: Are there issues with having 2L informal formal on the same day as the 1L formal or 3L formal?

Chadd: It shouldn't be the same day as the 1L formal.

Sarah: It could be the same day as 3L formal.

Sarah: For the yearbook, last year we ordered 250 and there are lots left over. I was thinking of ordering 150 yearbooks this year so we could save some money.

Manuela: We don't give more than 50% of the ordered yearbooks away. Yearbooks are built into 3L fees. I spoke with Professor Dufrainmont about this and she suggested to just buy enough to feel comfortable. Might be worth having a bigger conversation about the yearbook, in terms of whether yearbooks should be an opt in fee. Then could have an online PDF for people who don't want the actual hard copy. We should think about changing the contract.

Sarah: Having an opt in process would just start adding tasks into yearbook. However if ordered 100 or 150 yearbooks that would be a good way to start.

Cory: Might be better to have people opt out of the yearbook instead of opt in.

Adjournment

Chadd motions to adjourn meeting at 1:58 pm, Matt second, all approve. Motion passes.

L&L Meeting Agenda – October 24, 2018 (Room 2009)

Present: Matt, Steph, Manuela, Ashley B, Ashley H, Rachael, Alina, Adam, Kaitlyn, Simi, Karin, Sarah, Chadd

Regards: Cory

Call to Order

12:35PM

Minutes Ratification

After amending – Ashley H puts forward motion to approve minutes, Kaitlyn seconds, all approve. Motion passes.

L&L Calendar

Manuela: CDO sent me an email asking if we can put their events on the L&L calendar, which is on the L&L website. CDO events are on the Osgoode calendar, while clubs events are not. CDO events can be helpful to students, but traditionally the L&L calendar has been a student run initiative.

Simi: Can they put our stuff on their calendar?

Manuela:

Adam: We've been trying to get on their calendar for years, and they are already reluctant for our events to be on there. I'm not in favour of crowding out students events on our own calendar.

Matt: I agree. L&L Calendar is for our clubs. CDO has lots of other resources, including their own calendar.

Everyone agrees.

Remembrance Day

Manuela: 3 years ago, L&L was in charge of the Remembrance Day assembly and bringing veterans to Osgoode. However because in our 1L year, reading week started and falls on Remembrance Day so no one was there. In the past 2 years, L&L has provided a formal invitation in the form of an email to York's Remembrance Day assembly. Tanya Bowes, Dean Condon's assistant, was wondering whether L&L is doing this. What are everyone's thoughts? It's a nice event but if it's during reading week, attendance will be low. We could do it on November 12th but there's a faculty council meeting that day and Remembrance Day will have already passed. Do people think that L&L should plan it or just continue with inviting students to York's ceremony?

Kaitlyn: Planning something like this is a lot of work. We could instead sell poppies.

Simi: We could also have a timed moment of silence.

Manuela: The moment of silence would have to be on Monday, November 12th. We would have to ask faculty to do it because don't know how we'd oversee it.

Adam: I'm reluctant to put additional obligations on students. This seems that it should be an admin responsibility since they could deal with faculty.

Manuela: I emailed Tanya, but there's no documentation about this, and no specific mechanism for contacting veterans. We would have to start from the ground up.

Sarah: I like the idea of selling poppies.

Manuela: I can look into that, and we could sell poppies before the upper year reading week and the 1L Reps could sell them again before their 1L reading week.

Rachael: In recent years, there's been backlash if people sell poppies.

Manuela: That could be possible but don't know how much backlash there would be at Osgoode.

Kaitlyn: The poppies also wouldn't be sold at a specific price and we would just be asking for donations.

Manuela: I will look into that. We could sell the poppies for 1 hour next week and 1 hour the following week.

Manuela: I have also posted everyone's office hours on the door of the L&L office. To clarify – there is no need to do office hours during reading week. I will put out a schedule for tabling for poppy sales once I confirm how to get them.

2018-2019 Budget *See attached

Ashley B:I worked with Manuela for the expenses portion, it is pretty much the same budget as last year that was approved.

Manuela:Is there any part where you want us to go more in depth into?

Adam:The net income difference between the one proposed for this year and last year?

Manuela:This was because of the strike. We were able to keep some money because some clubs didn't run events, but there were other factors such as the JCR being closed and clothing sales went down. Last year we lost a lot from O-week as well.

Ashley B:Last year we expected to get \$25K from clothing sales and got \$35K, so it depends on what they have in stock. 2 years ago, clothing store merged with York store so liquidated and got new stuff.

Simi:There's \$4K for diversity week?

Manuela:There was a big sponsorship for diversity week.

Simi:I get \$500 for mental health and wellness week. If I don't spend all of that, can I use it for diversity week?

Manuela:

Update on L&L finances for this fiscal year to date

Ashley B:This is how much we have this year compared to last year. Haven't given us the levy yet so down \$30K. Income until now is \$55K.

Manuela: O-Week doesn't show up now.

Mental Health and Wellness Week

Simi:Nothing has changed and everything is going well. There is a meeting today about marketing, so let me know if anyone here wants to help with this. Now I have \$500 to spend on the week and because of last year we saved money on the bouncy castle. They were talking about how Peer Support Centre gave out free samosas and want to give out free food too. I'm looking for feedback on what food vendors are good, if you've used any before, and what days would be good to have the free food?

Chadd:Free food is good and Wednesdays are good to have them.

Simi:On Wednesday, during lunch there will be popcorn and cotton candy.

Manuela:We could also do a breakfast brunch and link that to mental health.

Adam:We could also have a fruit tray.

Simi:Can I bring in food?

Manuela:The food has to be from on campus caterers. I'm wondering if we can use the new grocery store that opened to bring food from.

Kaitlyn:It is expensive to feed fruit to so many people. Giving out samosas is more economically feasible and we could feed more people.

Manuela:We can do it on Tuesday or Thursday.

Simi:Has anyone used a caterer on campus that offers more variety? Such as Great Canadian Bagel.

Adam:York's food services was doing a big thing yesterday. There were giving out assorted salads and they're doing something today too.

Simi:Could I go to the mini cafeteria by the Tim's? I think it's called Market Square.

Manuela:Almost any restaurant on campus caters.

Chadd:There is also 15% off catering from Underground for L&L.

Simi:On another note, I want to start working on diversity week. I had an idea to do a social, or some diversity related event.

Chadd:Reading week is February 19 to 24. Having it post reading week would be better.

Manuela:There's a lot happening that week. Like Wendy Babcock show.

Chadd:Yes, there's too much happening before reading week in the winter.

Simi:Perhaps I could plan a diversity type pub night?

Kaitlyn:Wendy Babcock is having a pub night. We could have a JCR thing.

Manuela:For diversity week, they got equity seeking groups to do a pot luck in the JCR. There was music playing throughout speakers in Gowlings and everyone said it was a good vibe throughout the school.

Equity-Seeking Clubs Communication

Adam:These are some ideas from Student Caucus that were never followed up with. I heard that there were groups on campus in isolation from one another and duplicating efforts therefore we want to improve communication for clubs seeking equity. One of the things I was going to do is invite club reps to the synergy meeting this Wednesday. Thoughts? I heard about this a lot last

year – how groups were frustrated about not knowing what other groups were doing and I thought it would be good to facilitate this information in some way.

Chadd: It would be helpful for clubs to know what each other are doing.

Sarah: I agree

Simi: I was going individually to the clubs, but that is a good idea for them to come together. Perhaps we could have an equity seeking group town hall.

Manuela: I am not opposed to inviting groups to the synergy meeting and setting up the town hall.

Chadd: If they have specific issues about L&L and Student Caucus, they can bring it up at the synergy meeting, but we should let them know we're also doing a separate one.

Alina: What is the synergy meeting?

Manuela: Next week L&L is having a joint meeting with Student Caucus, which we're constitutionally mandated to have. We're going to see what they're doing, they'll see what we're doing, and we can see if there are any places where we can cross over.

Sarah: With the idea of people only coming to the synergy meeting for specific issues, we'd be diverging away from the point of having diversity groups talk amongst themselves.

Manuela: We can send out an email to address both meetings. Say that if you have a concern and want to have student government there, here is this time next week for you to do this. Then we can say that we'll also be planning a town hall for equity seeking groups to come together. Matt will have to help facilitate that with clubs emails. Simi can work with Matt and the email will come from Matt. If clubs want to come, they should reply to Matt so we know. Having them at the meeting near the end would be better, like the last half hour. If you have agenda items for the synergy meeting, send them to Ashley H.

Movie Night

Kaitlyn: I had an idea for a Movie Night this semester. For example, showing Legally Blonde in the moot court and facilitating it as a way to have another alternative event for the semester. Thoughts on when this should happen and whether it's a good idea or bad idea?

Chadd: What was the attendance at the Mean Girls movie night?

Rachael: About 8 people, but it was not a lot of work at all.

Chadd: No reason to not do it if it's not that much work.

Adam: Does York have a blanket license for showing movies?

Manuela: I don't know. What OEO has said to me is that there's only an issue if we start charging. I do not think that the moot court is necessary for movie night. We could do it in the JCR on a non JCR night. There are comfier chairs, and we could go get the popcorn or cotton candy machine.

Rachael: Is there a projector in the JCR?

Manuela: There's a monitor.

Kaitlyn: For trivia night, there was a flat screen TV so we didn't need a projector. We could show the movie on the flat screen TV, but it's just smaller. Is that worth doing?

Manuela: November is busy, and watching a movie is a big commitment.

Kaitlyn: Okay, perhaps I could do it right way after winter break.

Osgoode Spirit Day

Karin: This was an idea that 1Ls had. Everyone has Osgoode sweaters, and we thought there should be one day where everyone wore their Osgoode clothes.

Manuela: That's a great idea, especially in November time.

Chadd: It would also up the bookstore sales.

Karin: People can also just wear red and black.

Sarah: Is there anything we could combine it with something else going on the same day?

Karin: Bouncy castle day?

Simi: Bouncy castle day is November 14th. That day there's breakfast in the morning, paint night that week, and we can also have spirit clothes.

Sarah: I could also do a garage sale of Osgoode clothing for this Spirit day, which I had wanted to do.

Manuela: We can set it up beside CLASP.

Simi: I have clubs related to mental health week set up near there.

Manuela: To get the space, email OEO, the email goes to Kim Moore. The earlier you let them know the better. I'll bring you, Sarah, to the next meeting I have with the book store to set this garage sale up. I'm waiting on an email from them. If I don't hear from them, we'll just go talk to them.

3L Formal Venue

Steph: I wanted to get feedback from the 2Ls who went to the Eglinton Grand last year. Matt and I went to check out the venue and we loved it. We were taking note of accessibility. There was an elevator there but one needs to find a staff member to get the key. We've discussed the importance of autonomy, and wanted to get your thoughts on it, as well as what attendees from the 1L Formal last year said. This is more directed towards Chadd and Kaitlyn.

Kaitlyn: When we used the venue last year, people always had to go look for a man named Joe to take the elevator up and down. That would be my only complaint, otherwise it was very accessible.

Sarah: Perhaps you could ask if you could get the key for a couple hours and fill out a form beforehand.

Chadd: Since you have a bigger budget, you could pay to have someone operate the elevator, like a security guard. Last year, they didn't communicate this elevator protocol to us in advance.

Steph: I did really love the venue. It's really hard to find a venue that's available that day, within our budget. Fermenting Cellar was really pricey.

Kaitlyn: Chadd's solution seems to be the best solution – to just have someone specifically handling the elevator and sitting there all night. Might need someone at the top and someone at the bottom. It might also be more feasible to have a student handling the elevator, as that would be cheaper than a security guard.

Steph: Second thing, the quote she gave me, on the menu it said it was not an allergen free environment. Aashish said it might be a problem for people with nut allergies. Did you guys have any problems with that last year?

Chadd: They also said that last year, but said it was no problem as it's a contractual term and they actually operate as an allergen free environment. We had a spreadsheet where people put down their names and their allergies and dietary restrictions, and they accommodated everything, nuts included.

1L Town Halls

Manuela: For Town Halls, you get \$50 from L&L and \$20 from Student Caucus. You can talk about anything you think your section wants to talk about. O-Week is something we always want to get input on. Should preface it by saying that we don't have any control over the first day of O-Week. Admin. doesn't want to switch how things are done that day. So tell your sections that in advance. Everything else about O-Week we want feedback on and how people experienced O-Week. We also want to hear about learning styles with different professors. What did the 1L Reps from last year bring up?

Chadd: We got feedback on learning in a tech environment, which Dean Sossin was big on. Also talked about teaching styles and course concerns, and O-Week. We divided the time up so there's more structure and in the end saw what else needed to be discussed. So moderate it and take notes as you can.

Manuela: Just take turns taking notes. Also give a brief update on what L&L and Student Caucus are doing and you can ask them what type of social events they'd like to have, for example. Communicate this information to your Student Caucus reps as well.

1L Mixer

Karin: We're going to have the 1L Mixer in 2 weeks on Wednesday evening. We wanted to do a free event, as we were unsure about the money aspect.

Sarah: What are you doing?

Karin: We're just going to chill or go to archery tag or Spin.

Other Business

Adam: Can we get a blurb in the newsletter about keeping an eye on valuables in Osgoode and how there aren't cameras in the library?

Sarah: Are we going to talk about getting a camera in the library?

Manuela: Can we add it to the agenda for the synergy meeting? We can bring that up. It was a discussion at the last meeting, but we didn't finish the discussion.

Sarah: We could have a campus town hall.