

Steph: We've exceeded what I budgeted for minimum number of tickets. I budgeted for 230 tickets, and we're already at 245. Tickets are still open for a couple weeks. I'm starting to collect table info, and am currently in the process of reaching out to the decorator and figuring out the option on that front.

Manuela: That's great.

Other Business

Sarah: I have to remind Ashley that we need to pay for the yearbook.

Manuela: Let's just push off the budget to the next meeting.

Adjournment

Adam brings motion to adjourn, Cory seconds, all in favour, meeting adjourned at 1:00PM.

L&L Meeting Minutes – March 6, 2019 (Room 0014K)

Present: Manuela, Adam, Ashley H, Steph, Matt, Cory, Alina, Kaitlyn

Regards: Rachael, Simi, Sarah, Chadd, Ashley B, Karin

Call to Order

12:37PM

Minutes Ratification

Motion to approve previous meeting minutes by Ashley H, seconded by Steph, all in favour, motion passes.

Health Plan

Manuela: I will put in an email about tabling – it's also on Slack. This referendum right now will not switch the health plan automatically. That's what we did last time when asked if wanted to switch us to YFS. That was 3 years ago and we don't want the referendum every time. This referendum will give L&L and Student Caucus ("SC") jointly the power to negotiate a health plan up to \$410 – the higher price (grad student plan) – but right now we pay about \$296. This gives us power to go up to \$410 maximum. There's a health plan section in the Constitution, but it's blank now. I will put in new stuff saying that L&L in conjunction with SC will send out a survey yearly to gather feedback on our health plan. I'm thinking every 3 years, L&L and SC will get together and then go to renew. It's too much work to renegotiate all the time and want more commitment. For next week, when people talk to us when we're tabling, we'll tell them this is the mandate. Voting is just to give execs of L&L and SC the power, but not going to change the plan. Questions?

Adam: Do you have a blurb about that to send to SC?

Manuela: I'm making a facebook event now. It's hard to translate in writing so encourage people to come out to tabling because it'll be the most clear. There is a long blurb in the facebook event and I will write out other stuff for us to say during the tabling. I haven't gotten confirmation from tables. We have Kaitlyn and Cory tabling next Wednesday.

Manuela: Do you know of anyone doing bake sales next week?

Matt: As of now, no.

Manuela: We should be good to go. Polling stations – voting period is the same as our voting period for next year's exec – Mar 19-22, so will have polling stations set up. Bringing in other things to vote on so we will have stations in Gowlings. Don't know if electronic etc. Sam, the CEO, should also be in loop. Can vote online or in Gowlings.

Adam: Do you have the referendum question finalized?

Manuela:

Adam: Can you send it to me? There's pushback re: giving L&L leeway on health plan.

Manuela: Ross and I worked on it and I will send it to you. We want to emphasize that while this is an L&L mandate (fees), we do want input of SC every year on the health plan because so important for study body therefore should have entire student government on the same page.

Formal Updates

1L Formal

Cory: We got the invoice but it's incorrect so we will call them. They gave us one more dinner.

Alina: The only issue is that they accounted for one more person. It's the last day Ashley can write cheques so the venue needs to get back to us.

Alina: We're doing DIY decorations tomorrow.

Cory: Question – if we don't get the invoice today, but tomorrow, does Ashley need to be here?

Matt: Only the Treasurer has the authority to print.

Manuela: Hopefully she can make the trip tomorrow.

Manuela: Which professors are coming?

Cory: Just Dean Condon is coming. Mya Rimom and Dufraimont are on vacation.

2L In-Formal

Kaitlyn (proxy for Sarah): At 25 tickets sold, we need to sell more.

Publicity – if everyone can start a positive push – 3Ls please tell all 2Ls to go, 2Ls please make sure all your friends are going, 1Ls if you're talking to upper years, you can say something simple like "are you going to your 2L social I heard it was really fun". Is there any left over money? We can't afford a coat check so only option is a self rack, likely not the most safe. Food is limited, haven't heard from dean's funding, have gotten all no's for sponsorship.

Manuela: I told Sarah to email Kathy because hadn't heard from Dean's Funding.

Steph: I will probably have a surplus, I won't know for sure until I get the final invoice from Sarah. As of now according to my calculations, should have about a \$1500 surplus.

Manuela: We could allocate some of it to Sarah. Not all though because we won't have much carry over for next year. I'm on the priorities and finance ("pri-fi") committee, there's an OPD surplus, but should be cognizant that we shouldn't end the year with no surplus at all.

Steph: I should know for sure on the amount in a few days.

Adam: I noticed discrepancy between reporting and what it was previously?

Manuela: I said that numbers at the pri-fi meeting are tentative but Victoria also said that because of everything and international students, they project much lower than they usually end up with so shouldn't rely on it. Have another upcoming meeting so will update you more.

Steph: Would it be helpful for 3Ls to say it was really fun last year?

Manuela: One or two of us could do it. I also want to write in the Class of 2020 for a bit of the history about it.

3L Formal

Steph: Things are good. I submitted everything to the venue, and am waiting to get back our final invoice. I got the preliminary one from last week and it's all as expected. Professors coming include Condon, Farrow, Mya, Leach, Girard, Farrow, Kierstead, Haag. I finalized everything with the letters, got the decorations, so we're good to go.

All Years – End of Semester Pub Night

Kaitlyn: The last exam is on Easter Monday. I don't know if we should do it on the 22nd or the 23rd? If I leave it until the 23rd, people will be gone by then.

Manuela: In the past, they did it on the Friday before the last exam, on the Good Friday, because no one stays after the exam and only a handful of people have exams on the Monday. People generally go regardless if they have an exam on Monday.

Kaitlyn: Okay I will do that then and will have it at Bier Markt.

1L – End of Semester Pub Night

Cory and Alina: We will think about where we will have it.

Kaitlyn: I have a list of places that I will send to you.

Other Business

(i) Summary Database

Adam: The summary database could use a boost, as there are classes that have been around for a few years with no summaries. We could try to incentivize people to submit, the incentive is supposed to be you get access to it, but people just share that password with their friends. We could incentivize 3Ls from past cohorts with, for example, gift cards to Starbucks, as we have some money from the SC budget.

Cory: Is there a list of summaries missing?

Adam: Chadd did a call out from before so we have a list. Any other ideas?

Manuela: I will get more of an update from him for the next meeting.

(ii) New Club Application

Matt: We have another application for a club – 10th new club. We might have too much, so the person next year might want to think about condensing them.

Manuela: Also with provincial cuts, the new government might reverse this. The budget is already stretched so soon can't afford that many.

Matt: We're almost at 60 clubs. New club is Earth Law Club – sounds like a cross between environmental law and indigenous law and human rights, also connected to earth law centre in New York. Wanted to know if people have any opinions, or have heard