

# Minutes

3 March 2021

12:30 – 2:30 PM EST

## Zoom

**Present:** Karin Kazakevich (Chair), Rachael Glassman, Reilly Everitt-Cunningham, Sydney McIvor, Nushrah Amod, Aiishwariya Haran, Mario Lofranco, Danielle Landry, Christina Tassopoulos, Courtney Cameron, Jessica Li, Akshay Aurora

**Regrets:** Jordan Crocker, Alex Mulligan

*Due to the absence of the Secretary, the Vice-President, Internal, took the Minutes of the meeting.*

## Call to Order (12:32PM)

### President's Remarks & Items

#### 1. Updates Roundtable

Karin: Before we start, I understand there's a quick update from Rachael.

Rachael: Professor Appreciation Video. Remember we'd like everyone on L&L to submit a video thanking the professors for their efforts this past year.

Karin: Now for general updates.

Reilly: emailed clubs about hosting their own elections. Recommended that they do their elections before exams so we have a better transition.

Sydney: This would help the treasurer a lot too. So that clubs can use their accounts over the summer and early fall.

Reilly: I will get as much in as possible.

Nushrah: Sydney, Rachael and I have been working on general mental health things that will continue into next year. Rachael has been working with Debbie to create a platform for sharing mental health things on social media. It's important to talk about now.

Rachael: Part of Community Enhancement Forum. Point is to have a united force of admin and students supporting students instead of separate initiatives

Karin: Great work. Other updates?

Aiish: I have formal updates.

Karin: Later, other things now?

Aiish: Grad photos. Markham is open for photos and the others will happen when lockdown is over.

Karin: Photos are open until the summer. L&L and SC usually do a composite. Its tricky this year to go and take an official photo for non-graduating students. I will speak with Lassman Studios about allowing that.

Akshay: It's free, right?

Karin: Yes, it is.

Nushrah: I want to be in the photo.

Karin: Aiish can you email all the SC and L&L people about this?

Aiish: Yes. Does Jordan have a list of people?

Akshay: I can send that to you.

Karin: If nothing else, my updates are that Osgoode is redoing their website. It's a big project and they have hired a consultant. They want four L&L and four SC people to be consulted on it. Not quite sure what they will ask. Date is March 31 from 2:30-4:00PM. So, if you're not rejoining us it will be the last thing you do as that's our transition date. Anyone find this interesting?

*Nushrah and Rachael raise their hands. Jessica wants to join but has class. Nushrah offers to take notes.*

Aiish: I can volunteer but it's just women in that case and they want a diversity of folks.

## **2. Care Packages**

Karin: Osgoode will pay for shipping so we can move forward with these. Are we passionate and want to do this? (*General agreement*)

Karin: Two options then: baseball cap and water bottle. That's \$12. Option 1 is to not go through the bookstore and then we can't use our logo, but we can save money (\$7-10). Option 2: no water bottle. We just use the baseball cap and lots of smaller things like notepads. What do we prefer? Do we want better quality or smaller things? We could put in hand sanitizer, highlighters, etc. Opening it up to the floor and then we'll vote.

Sydney: I prefer bottle. Last year's care packages, the only thing I use in the hat. The rest is nice, but the hat has staying power. The other things are nice when you open it but it's not something you see and use every day.

Rachael: I wouldn't use the baseball cap, so I also prefer the water bottle. And my friends don't either.

Mario: I like the water bottle, but I like the baseball cap more. I still have these mementos from high school even.

Karin: Alternative of the water bottle is that it's cheaper and we won't use the Osgoode logo. Or we can include lanyards, etc. Part of me is concerned with shipping the glass water bottle. I can see us getting a different bottle and having the same effect.

Sydney: I like a different bottle.

Reilly: We can go from somewhere that's not the bookstore. Get a new water bottle.

Aiish: I agree. I have a water bottle that I'm happy with.

Nushrah: What's the pricing of a baseball cap, a water bottle, and a lanyard? That might be ideal.

Karin: The work is in choosing the bottle because there are 5000 options.

Sydney: What price range?

Karin: We can't have one for every student. We'll cap at 600-650. I think that's fair based on how many signed up last year. \$7-9 range is good. If we don't do lanyard we can go higher. We need to scroll through all the options to see what's up. Ultimately, it's better to have three useful things rather than a bunch of smaller less useful things. Another piece is the packaging of them. I don't want to do this alone.

*Several people raise their hands to help Karin.*

Karin: Look at bottles in your leisure time and we'll vote over Slack. I want to ship them out ASAP. Form will go out on Monday and we'll ship before end of month. Anyone have reservations on this? *No reservations were expressed.*

## **3. Formal Updates (1L/2L/3L)**

### **3L Formal**

Aiish: Karin, Alina and I had a meeting about 3L formal. We've got an email from Justice Abella sending words of wisdom. She's not tech savvy so she can't be there in person/virtually. We want to get another justice there too. We'll have the Deans, Gold Key, raffle, slide show. Then end of the night will be breakout rooms. Ask people what "Tables" they want and that's breakout rooms. If you want to jump to another breakout room, you can. We played with idea of getting entertainment, but we don't know what the turnout will be. Not sure if it's worth it to get some. Anyone have comments on this at all?

Akshay: How long will the pre-breakout room stuff be?

Aiish: Formal part of event will be about an hour. Start a 6:30, grad toast at 7:30 and then it'll be the L&L portion of the event and break out rooms at 8. Victor will come up with a signature cocktail so that people can make the same drink at home. Theme is Carbolc Smoke Ball by the way. Maybe do Zoom backgrounds.

Akshay: This might not work with some computers.

Aiish: I'll just leave it then. Maybe message me if you have ideas for L&L awards. We might not reuse the ones from last year. These are superlatives awards. Most Likely to, etc.

Karin: That's our plan. It's going to be really great. Last year's awards don't really translate. Over to 2Ls.

## **2L Informal-Formal**

Mario: Its going well, we have a cool team. Similar to how Aiish did hers. We're doing two nights: trivia night and then a formal a couple days later. We're having team-based trivia. Haven't decided on Saturday. We'll have breakout rooms with games. People can hop into whatever rooms they want. It simulates parties. Only thing we want to raise is that we have a budget of \$500. Do we have budget for awards?

Sydney: We could probably do that. We'll workshop it a bit. Do you want gift cards, or should we do gifts? I always forget about gift cards so maybe gifts are better?

Mario: Gift cards are cheapest, but we're open to suggestions. We're doing a '90s theme for trivia and a COVID theme for the formal.

Karin: Note on budget, we have a line for formals that we haven't used yet so we can take from there. Is the 2L formal free?

Mario: Yes, it's free.

Karin: Anything else for 2L formal? *(No more points were raised)* 1Ls, how about you?

## **1L Formal**

Jessica: We've been talking about it. All the 2L and 3L stuff sounds great. Big thing is moving away from just using Zoom. We've been looking at these other platforms. Aside from Gather and Kumospace, I recently added a conference that used Remo. For a conference situation, it worked great. It's similar to Gather but instead of walking around, you can move to different tables and talk to people there. You can't walk around randomly. We're not sure of budget but Remo is \$360 for a monthly subscription. Gather is \$1/person at any time. We don't know what the turn out will be, but we want to know about budget.

Sydney: Yes, we'll probably have the money for that. I have to shuffle around money for grad gifts and such and I'll let everyone know what your budgets will be.

Jessica: Something I found good about Remo is they can have central speakers able to give announcements. It's adapted to gala or conference and less of a big party. Depending on the vibes you want, that's an option. Any other 1Ls have input?

Christina: You did great.

Mario: If we get one platform, we can share the cost across the formals.

Jessica: You can only have up to 200 people. Would that be an issue?

Rachael: No, that's about the max we would expect.

Aiish: Kumospace was proposed to us too.

Karin: If we can get one platform and use it for everything, that would be awesome and cost effective. I would encourage the planners to sign up for free trials and see how it goes. For 2L and 3L formals if you want raffles, etc. that's fine too. Are there dates in mind?

Mario: March 18 and 20.

Sydney: 1L formal. Deans usually give money, about \$2500. If you want money you might want to apply for it.

Karin: Do it as soon as possible. It's not difficult but it's better to submit soon. Anything else on formal conversation? *(No more points were raised).*

#### 4. Elections

Karin: hopefully we'll see you back next year. Or go to SC, that's fine. We do want you to run. I feel like people don't know what's going on because we haven't posted yet.

Rachael: I'm planning on posting later.

Karin: Great. I'm hoping we can engage people in it. I think it'll be harder this year because people don't see each other or know what we do. I would encourage you to get friends to run. Alina is the person to talk to about election concerns.

Rachael: Host an info session? On Instagram live to teach people about what our roles are.

Karin: Yes, that's a good idea. Let's talk to Alina and schedule that for next week.

#### 5. Diploma Frames

Karin: I don't want to make unilateral decisions on this. A concern/question has been raised. We've been getting questions from people who have graduated. They don't want the free one, they want to pay but they want to buy through us and have us administer it. Are we opening Pandora's box to everyone wanting to get a cheaper frame? Will this spiral? Basically, they want access to our group pricing. Jordan had some thoughts on this but was unable to attend due to in-firms, so I will read from notes he submitted.

Jordan (read by Karin): *Generally, I do not believe the Class of 2020 should be extended the frames deal. There are some reasons for this, perhaps the most prominent being the fact that alumni are not our members any longer. I also have some thoughts on people unhappy with the frames deal in general.*

*For Class of 2020: At this point, I think we have done enough for the Class of 2020. There are couple of things here: 1) They got the CN Tower for their grad; 2) They got 6 out of their 8 months in 3L at Osgoode; 3) They were able to finish their last term on Pass/Fail grades; and, 4) They were sent their composites and Yearbooks at no cost to themselves. We've done enough to accommodate folks.*

*For Class of 2021: It's true that some people may have bought their degrees already, a couple of things about that though: 1) Folks graduate in literally 4 months, that's a lot of time; and, 2) I have privately messaged this to Karin before – but do not let someone gaslight you into thinking this isn't a great deal. It is. It's a ton of money. If someone wants the deal but they already bought a frame, I think that's on them to ask the Bookstore for a refund.*

Karin: Other concern is people who bought early. Administratively we could accommodate them.

Aiish: I'm on the vein of a hardline, suck it up approach. This is a gift for the Class of 2021. Sorry to everyone else, you're not part of this. You can still get the free frame if you bought it already. This is in order to make sure the Class of 2021 gets a present after a tough year. I don't see why people would find fault with us doing this. We got this deal for this thing. It's not available outside of this. Opening it up would cause issues.

Akshay: I agree. For a simple reason that class of 2020 are not our constituents anymore. What we do is for students. My primary issue with the alumni is that aren't our members. I don't know how many students from 2L or 3L would take advantage and get it early but logistically we're opening it up too early. Not intended to serve you.

Rachael: Agree – only go to Class of 2021.

Karin: Problem with people who bought early is that they can't return it. Do we then give them \$85?

Sydney: What about people who don't want a frame and just take the \$85?

Karin: They would need to prove it. Is there an alternative to get the same benefit?

Sydney: How many people are we talking about?

Karin: Three people.

Sydney: I feel like if we advertise it, which we would have to, would open flood gates.

Karin: I've only had three people contact me from our class. And several Class of 2020.

Sydney: We can't process all of those individual transactions. That's a lot of my time and I don't have it.

Karin: It's for graduating students only. It's just the optics that are concerning.

Sydney: It's logistics too. It's a high time commitment for all of us. And we're doing this because we can't do anything else. I would much rather have a formal over a frame and that's why we're doing this.

Christina: We're only doing this because you can't have a formal. So only Class of 2021 can get it.

Karin: Letter of permission students?

Akshay: They aren't Osgoode students.

Rachael: They don't pay money to us and they aren't getting a degree from us so there is no point in them getting a frame from us.

Karin: Ok, no frame if they don't pay fees. What about the person who bought the frame early?

Sydney: We need to see the date they paid, and it needs to be past the date they could return the frame and before the date we announced the gift.

Karin: Ok. And we won't announce and if you contact us, we'll offer it.

Aiish: That's fair.

Karin: I worry about people not getting our emails or social.

Rachael: No. People need to pay attention to what we say and post.

## **Vice-President External Items**

### **6. Social Media Campaign for Clubs**

Reilly: I want to celebrate the people who run the clubs. I'm thinking of a social media campaign "warm fuzzies." Put in a questionnaire and ask for submissions for people who have contributed to Osgoode.

Akshay: Shouting out to clubs or just people? I'm concerned that some people aren't popular, but they do a lot of work.

Reilly: Both. We won't get everyone. Everyone contributes, and some people might be hurt by not getting shout outs. I will submit some that I want to shout out. That's a good point. People can do a self-promo.

Karin: That's super cute.

Reilly: Last week of March.

Christina: Regular account.

Rachael: Let's do the logistics offline. But yes, I like it. What about the club awards?

Reilly: Just the same one we did last year.

Karin: We talked last year about an event in the JCR which we can't do. Gold Key Awards are due on Friday. If you know a 3L who deserves one, please submit. Good to recognize people.

## **Other Business**

### **7. Water Bottles**

Karin: Water bottles. We have to decide this today. Anyone have initial thoughts?

*Executives spoke about colours of water bottles which they preferred for the care packages.*

Karin: Next week is our Synergy Meeting. It's last minute because the Deans want to talk about plans for next year. If you're not in 3L this is super important since they will talk about plans for next year. They will discuss for probably the first hour of the meeting. I'll send a reminder. Then we have one more L&L meeting and then our transition meeting! Anything you want to get done by this Executive has to be done by the 31st.

***Motion: THAT the meeting be Adjourned.***

***(Kazakevich/Aurora) CARRIED***

***Adjournment (1:46PM)***

### **Consent Agenda**

The item on the Consent Agenda, the Minutes of the meeting of 10 February 2021, was deemed approved.

–

**Next Meeting**

**Monday, 15 March 2021, 12:30PM EST**